Missoula Pitching Stymies Voyagers
Great Falls, MT - Missoula broke open a scoreless game with a four-run fifth that led to a 9-0 shutout of the Voyagers for a series win Sunday afternoon at Centene Stadium.
Great Falls (1-2) will have an off-day Monday before venturing out on a six-game road trip that begins with a three-game series at Billings Tuesday night. The Osprey (2-1) travel to Idaho Falls for a series that starts Monday night.
Missoula sent eight batters to the plate in the fifth and scored four times thanks to three consecutive base hits. Jose Reyes started the inning with a walk. With one out, Tristen Carranza was hit by a pitch. Axel Andueza loaded the bases with a single to right. Liover Peguero then doubled home the first two runs, and Francis Martinez followed with a two-run triple for a 4-0 lead. The Osprey added two more in the sixth on a two-run home run high and deep to right off the bat of Kevin Watson, Jr. Missoula batted around in the ninth for three additional runs.
The Osprey pounded out 13 hits and held the Voyagers to just four on the day, matching a season-low. Jose Reyes and Liover Peguero both went 3-for-5. Five Missoula hitters posted multi-hit games. Great Falls stranded eight base runners.
On the mound, starter Jason Morgan held Missoula scoreless through the first three innings with three hits allowed. Morgan struck out three and walked just one in his professional debut. Chris Williams posted the win in relief for the Osprey. Williams (1-0) went two-and-a-third scoreless in relief and gave up one hit with two strikeouts. The Missoula pitching staff struck out a season-high 12. Brayan Herrera took the loss. Herrera (0-1) went one-and-a-third and yielded three earned runs on two hits with one strikeout and one walk.
After a six-game road stretch, Great Falls will return home on Tuesday, June 25th for a three-game set against Idaho Falls. For season tickets and promotional information, call 406-452-5311 or visit www.gfvoyagers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chukars Outlast Mustangs in Extras for Series Sweep - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Rox Walked Off, Drop Third Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Missoula Pitching Stymies Voyagers - Great Falls Voyagers
- Jackson's Two Homers Not Enough in 13-10 Loss - Orem Owlz
- Osprey Blast Voyagers to Win Opening Series - Missoula Osprey
- Extra Innings Goes Way of Idaho Falls to Complete Sweep - Billings Mustangs
- Rox Drop Sloppy Slugfest 12-11 - Grand Junction Rockies
- Late Rally Propels Raptors to Second Win - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Sloppy in 11-7 Loss to Vibes - Orem Owlz
- Timely Hitting Vaults Voyagers to Victory - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.