Rox Split Series with Win over Owlz
Led by five shutout innings from Trent Fennell and four RBI from Will Golsan the Grand Junction beat the Orem Owlz 7-1 Thursday night at UCCU Ballpark.
Golsan followed John Cresto's solo home run in the second inning with a sacrifice fly to make it 2-0, and after Franklin Garcia walked and Cristopher Navarro singled in the fourth, he hit his third home run of the season to make it 5-0 Rockies. Joey Bartosic's RBI triple in the fifth made it 6-0, and two batters later, Navarro followed with an RBI double.
That was plenty for Fennell, who earned his first win, surrendering four hits while striking out a season-high eight batters.
Kevin Maitan homered off Reagan Biechler in the bottom of the sixth to get Orem on the board, and after Rayne Supple struck out three in two shutout innings, the Rockies scored twice in the ninth. Coco Montes scored on a wild pitch, while Grant Lavigne came home on a bases loaded walk.
Michael Stefanic singled home a run off Jesse Stinnett in the bottom of the ninth.
Golsan, Lavigne, and Navarro finished with two hits. Bartosic drove home two runs.
The win improves the Rockies to 19-13 in the second, 39-31 overall. It ensures the team of a winning record for the the third time in franchise history, and the first time since 2013.
With Ogden's loss against Idaho Falls, the Rockies now have sole possession of first place in the South Division with six games to play.
The Rockies will head to Ogden to open a 2-game series Friday night. The first pitch from Lindquist Field is set for 6:30.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Brewers Double up Voyagers to Win Second Straight - Helena Brewers
- Ogden Falters in Potential Playoff Preview - Ogden Raptors
- One-Run Loss Sends Voyagers to Series Defeat - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Split Doubleheader vs Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- GJ Tops Ogden - Grand Junction Rockies
- Mustangs Win 7-4 over Osprey in Final Meeting of Season - Billings Mustangs
- Big Innings the Difference for Mustangs in Extra-Inning Win - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Score 11 Runs But Fall in Extra Innings - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Raptors Rally to Tie...But Fall in Ninth - Ogden Raptors
- Rox Split Series with Win over Owlz - Grand Junction Rockies
- Voyagers Lose Second Straight in Helena - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.