GJ Tops Ogden
Niko Decolati finished with four hits, while Hunter Stovall drove home five runs in the Grand Junction Rockies 11-4 win over the Ogden Raptors Friday night at Lindquist Field.
The win improves the Rockies to 20-13 in the second half, and after Idaho Falls split a doubleheader against Orem Friday, the Rockies lead the Chukars and Raptors by two games in the South Division with five games to play.
A Moises Perez sacrifice fly put the Raptors up 1-0, but the Rockies responded by batting around in the third and they scored four runs to take a lead they wouldn't give back. Joey Bartosic, Cristopher Navarro and Will Golsan started the inning with infield singles, and Stovall's RBI single tied the game. Then Coco Montes singled home Navarro to give the Rockies the lead, and two batters later, Decolati drove home two more.
Stovall made it a 7-1 game in the fourth when he hit a 3-run homer, his ninth of the season, and Joey Bartosic's sacrifice fly in the fifth made it 8-1.
The Raptors tightened things in the sixth when they took advantage of two hit batters, a bloop single, and an error and scored three runs to get within four, but Daniel Montano's 2-run homer in the seventh grew the Rockies lead back to six, and Decolati added an RBI single in the eighth.
To go with his five RBI, Stovall added three hits and three runs scored, while Decolati drove home three runs of his own. Golsan added three hits, while Navarro, Montano, and Montes chipped in two.
Alejandro Mejia earned his third win of the season, holding the Raptors to four runs, three earned over five innings, and the bullpen trio of Michael Agis, Alfredo Garcia, and Colton Harlow held the Raptors off the board for the game's final four innings.
The Rockies will finish their 4-road trip with the finale of their 2-game series in Ogden Saturday night. The first pitch from Lindquist Field is set for 6:30.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Brewers Double up Voyagers to Win Second Straight - Helena Brewers
- Ogden Falters in Potential Playoff Preview - Ogden Raptors
- One-Run Loss Sends Voyagers to Series Defeat - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Split Doubleheader vs Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- GJ Tops Ogden - Grand Junction Rockies
- Mustangs Win 7-4 over Osprey in Final Meeting of Season - Billings Mustangs
- Big Innings the Difference for Mustangs in Extra-Inning Win - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Score 11 Runs But Fall in Extra Innings - Missoula Osprey
- Raptors Rally to Tie...But Fall in Ninth - Ogden Raptors
- Rox Split Series with Win over Owlz - Grand Junction Rockies
- Voyagers Lose Second Straight in Helena - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.