Mustangs Win 7-4 over Osprey in Final Meeting of Season
MISSOULA, Montana - The Billings Mustangs (21-11, 36-34) clinched the series over the Missoula Osprey (16-15, 35-34) with a 7-4 win on Friday in front of 2,347 at Ogren Park Allegiance Field.
The Mustangs struck for a run in the first to take an early advantage. Mariel Bautista singled with two outs to start a string of three straight two-out reaches for the run. With men at first and second, Drew Mount's sharp grounder to short was not fielded cleanly by Brandon Leyton, allowing Bautista to advance two bases and get the Mustangs a quick 1-0 lead. Bautista's single extended his hitting streak to 21 games, the longest hitting streak in the Pioneer League this season.
The Osprey brought in three runs in the bottom of the first to retaliate and take their first lead. Eddie Hernandez doubled in two runs and a third was brought in on a fielder's choice. The Osprey would hold a lead from the first to the top of the seventh.
Ricardo Smith (3-5) matched his season-high with six innings of work, giving up four unearned runs on six hits, whiling striking out six, also tying a season-high. He was on the hook for the loss when exiting the game before a big seventh-inning rally from Billings.
Trailing 4-3 into the top of the seventh, the Mustangs rallied for four runs on four hits to take their first lead since the first. Drew Mount and Dylan Harris each singled in a run and two wild pitches would help bring in another pair to give the Mustangs a 7-4 lead.
Ryan Campbell and Jesse Stallings then combined to throw three shutout innings out of the bullpen. Stallings would throw a perfect ninth to collect his first save in the Pioneer League this season.
The Mustangs have now won five of their last six games and take the series, 3-1 over Missoula. Their road trip continues as they head to Great Falls for a three-game series against the Voyagers. First pitch on Saturday at Centene Stadium is set for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Brewers Double up Voyagers to Win Second Straight - Helena Brewers
- Ogden Falters in Potential Playoff Preview - Ogden Raptors
- One-Run Loss Sends Voyagers to Series Defeat - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Split Doubleheader vs Orem - Idaho Falls Chukars
- GJ Tops Ogden - Grand Junction Rockies
- Mustangs Win 7-4 over Osprey in Final Meeting of Season - Billings Mustangs
- Big Innings the Difference for Mustangs in Extra-Inning Win - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Score 11 Runs But Fall in Extra Innings - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Raptors Rally to Tie...But Fall in Ninth - Ogden Raptors
- Rox Split Series with Win over Owlz - Grand Junction Rockies
- Voyagers Lose Second Straight in Helena - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.