Round Rock's Jason Hirsh named 2006 Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Year
August 30, 2006 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Round Rock's Jason Hirsh has been selected as the 2006 Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Year, an honor annually chosen by the League's managers and media representatives, the League announced today. He was also elected to the 2006 All-PCL squad earlier this week as top right-handed starting pitcher in the League.
Hirsh, 24, from Santa Monica, California, holds a record of 13-and-2 and won an impressive 12 consecutive games before being promoted to the Houston Astros on August 12th. His 13 wins and 2.10 earned run average are both currently the top marks for any PCL pitcher this season. Additionally, opposing batters have only managed to post a .193 batting average when facing the 6'-8" righthander this season.
"Needless to say, he's had an excellent season." Round Rock manager Jackie Moore said of Hirsh. "He's as consistent from one start to the next as any young pitcher I've been associated with. " Moore added that he expects to see Hirsh enjoy similar success in the Major Leagues.
Since joining the Astros, Hirsh has gone 2-and-2 and has struck out 13 batters in 19 innings of work.
Other players considered to receive the 2006 award were fellow All-PCL hurler Rich Hill currently with Chicago (NL), Jered Weaver for his time with the Salt Lake Bees, and Hirsh's teammate in Round Rock and Houston, Chris Sampson.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2006
- Owings stars in record setting Sidewinders win - Tucson Sidewinders
- Grizzlies get five in eighth for 11-8 win - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes lose early lead, fall 10-8 to Sounds in 11 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats fall again at hands of Sidewinders - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds knock off Isotopes in 11 innings - Nashville Sounds
- Conrad homers twice in loss - Round Rock Express
- Z's defeat Omaha 5-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks fall to I-Cubs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers, Padres announce two-year extension to affiliation - Portland Beavers
- Grizzlies and Giants extend affiliation through 2008 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Oklahoma RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Royals game notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock's Jason Hirsh named 2006 Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Potential Playoff Preview At Greer This Weekend As Sounds Wrap Up 2006 Regular Season - Nashville Sounds
- L.V. 51s Conclude 2006 Season With Four Home Games Against Fresno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Omaha Partnership With KC Extended Through 2008 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cust, Sledge power Beavers past Grizzlies 11-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sidewinders win in ninth - Tucson Sidewinders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.