Roughnecks Select Four Players in 2014 NLL Draft
Oakville, ON - The Calgary Roughnecks Lacrosse Club selected four players, including three local products, in the 2014 NLL Draft, held Monday at Toronto Rock Athletic Centre (TRAC) in Oakville, Ontario.
The Roughnecks dealt four of their 2014 selections (sixth, eighth, 26th and 27th) to the New England Black Wolves in exchange for a first-round selection in 2015 and third-round selection in 2016.
"We entered the draft without a lot of holes to fill this season. We like our team chemistry and the depth we have gained from our previous drafts," said Roughnecks general manager Mike Board. "To be able to secure ourselves an additional first-round pick in a very deep draft in 2015 was something we wanted. We now have four picks in the top 18 which provides us with many options."
The Roughnecks selected 21-year-old Tyson Roe in the second round, 16th overall. During his sophomore season at Concordia University Wisconsin, Roe recorded nine goals and 16 points over 16 games played. The Duncan, British Columbia, product just completed his first full season with the WLA's Nanaimo Timbermen, registering three goals and adding five assists in 16 games.
"Tyson is big, athletic and strong," commented Board on the 6-10, 250-pound, second-round selection. "He works hard all over the floor and is a very committed to continuing to improve his game."
Of the four players drafted, the Roughnecks selected three local products: forwards Pat Henry (36th overall) and Cam Gardner (45th overall) along with defenceman Andrew Smistad (54th overall). Henry played 18 games with the RMLL's Junior A Mountaineers last season, scoring a league-leading 34 goals and adding 27 assists for 61 points over that span. Gardner, a former Mountaineer, suited up for 10 games with Bellarmine University, recording 25 points, including 17 goals, during the 2014 season. Smistad, who also played for the Mountaineers from 2008-11, appeared in nine games during his freshman year at Marquette University in 2013. He was named captain leading into his sophomore year but suffered a season-ending injury in the 2014 pre-season.
For a complete list of the 2014 draft results, visit NLL.com.
Calgary Roughnecks 2014 NLL Draft Selections
Rnd O/A Player POS HT WT Hometown YOB Team (2014)
2 16 Tyson Roe D/T 6'10" 250 Duncan, B.C. 1992 Concordia University Wisconsin (NCAA) and
Nanaimo Timbermen (WLA)
4 36 Pat Henry F 5'11" 200 Calgary, AB 1993 Junior A Mountaineers (RMLL)
5 45 Cam Gardner F 5'11" 180 Calgary, AB 1992 Bellarmine University (NCAA)
6 54 Andrew Smistad D 6'2" 210 Calgary, AB 1990 Marquette University (NCAA)
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 22, 2014
- Roughnecks Select Four Players in 2014 NLL Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Add Four from Six Nations in NLL Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Bandits Draft Five Players, Acquire Weiss at 2014 NLL Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Mammoth Bolsters Roster in Draft with Two First-Rounders - Colorado Mammoth
- Black Wolves Make 10 Selections in 2014 NLL Entry Draft - New England Black Wolves
- Minnesota Swarm Select Miles Thompson with Third Overall Pick - Minnesota Swarm
- 2014 NLL Draft Results Announced - NLL
- Rock Select Four in NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Edmonton Rush 2014 NLL Draft Recap - Edmonton Rush
- Knighthawks Bring Back Jordan Hall - Rochester Knighthawks
- A Noble Becomes a Knighthawk - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rush Select Ben McIntosh First Overall - Edmonton Rush
- League Expands Playoff Format - NLL
- Minnesota Swarm Ready for 2014 NLL Draft Tonight - Minnesota Swarm
- Minnesota Swarm's Jordan Macintosh and Logan Schuss Win NLL Player Awards - Minnesota Swarm
- Knighthawks Pull off Blockbuster Trade - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.