Minnesota Swarm's Jordan Macintosh and Logan Schuss Win NLL Player Awards
TORONTO - The National Lacrosse League (NLL) announced the 2014 NLL Season Award winners during the first-ever Season Awards Ceremony at Toronto Rock Athletic Centre (TRAC) in Oakville, Ontario on Sunday night.
For the second straight year, Swarm transition player Jordan MacIntosh was named the 2014 NLL Transition Player of the Year, and forward Logan Schuss, the first overall pick from the 2013 NLL Draft, was voted as the 2014 NLL Rookie of the Year. MacIntosh was also named to the NLL All-Pro First Team, while Schuss collected NLL All-Rookie Team honors.
MacIntosh, 25, who becomes just the second player in NLL history to win the Transition Player of the Year award twice, was third on the Swarm in points in 2014 and led all NLL transition players in points (61) and goals (23) while finishing second in assists (38). The third-year pro ranked second in the league with 204 loose balls, sixth with 198 faceoffs won and tied for 10th in the NLL with 25 forced turnovers. The Oakville, Ontario native played collegiately at RIT and was Minnesota's first-round selection (No. 4 overall) in the 2011 NLL Entry Draft.
"It's quite an accomplishment for Jordan to be named to the All-Pro First Team and for the second time, Transition Player of the Year," Swarm Owner and Governor John Arlotta said. "The entire organization congratulates Jordan and we're all proud of his hard work."
Schuss, 23, led all rookies in goals (36), assists (37), points (73) and power play goals, and finished fourth in loose balls (77) this year. The 36 goals by Schuss were tied for the sixth-most in the NLL and his 73 points ranked second on the Swarm and 16th in the league overall. Schuss recorded at least one point in all 18 games played and four or more points in 10 contests. Schuss won the NLL Rookie of the Month award three-straight times from February to April. The Ladner, B.C. native played collegiate lacrosse at the Ohio State University and was the first overall pick in the 2013 NLL Entry Draft.
"Logan adjusted well to the NLL and proved that he can be a big-time player in this league," Arlotta said. "He carries on a tradition along with many other first overall picks who went on to win Rookie of the Year. The Swarm organization congratulates Logan on a great start to his NLL career."
NLL All-Pro First Team
Forward - Cody Jamieson, Rochester Knighthawks (2nd selection)
Forward - Garrett Billings, Toronto Rock (3rd selection)
Forward - Shawn Evans, Calgary Roughnecks (3rd selection)
Transition - Jordan MacIntosh, Minnesota Swarm (2nd selection)
Defense - Kyle Rubisch, Edmonton Rush (3rd selection)
Goaltender - Matt Vinc, Rochester Knighthawks (5th selection)
NLL All-Rookie Team
Logan Schuss (Forward- Minnesota Swarm)
Dillon Ward (Goaltender- Colorado Mammoth)
Robert Church (Edmonton Rush)
Karsen Leung (Calgary Roughnecks)
Tyler Digby (Vancouver Stealth)
Garrett Thul (Philadelphia Wings)
The 2014 NLL Season Awards were determined by a vote of the league's Board of Governors, General Managers and Head Coaches at the end of the regular season.
The weekend at TRAC culminates with the 2014 NLL Draft on Monday, Sept. 22, which will air live on YouTube via The Lacrosse Network (YouTube.com/TLN) starting at 6 p.m. CT. Minnesota holds two first-round selections (Nos. 3 and 5), as well as the first selection in the second-round (No. 10).
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 22, 2014
- Roughnecks Select Four Players in 2014 NLL Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Add Four from Six Nations in NLL Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Bandits Draft Five Players, Acquire Weiss at 2014 NLL Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Mammoth Bolsters Roster in Draft with Two First-Rounders - Colorado Mammoth
- Black Wolves Make 10 Selections in 2014 NLL Entry Draft - New England Black Wolves
- Minnesota Swarm Select Miles Thompson with Third Overall Pick - Minnesota Swarm
- 2014 NLL Draft Results Announced - NLL
- Rock Select Four in NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Edmonton Rush 2014 NLL Draft Recap - Edmonton Rush
- Knighthawks Bring Back Jordan Hall - Rochester Knighthawks
- A Noble Becomes a Knighthawk - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rush Select Ben McIntosh First Overall - Edmonton Rush
- League Expands Playoff Format - NLL
- Minnesota Swarm Ready for 2014 NLL Draft Tonight - Minnesota Swarm
- Minnesota Swarm's Jordan Macintosh and Logan Schuss Win NLL Player Awards - Minnesota Swarm
- Knighthawks Pull off Blockbuster Trade - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton