League Expands Playoff Format
September 22, 2014 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) News Release
The National Lacrosse League has announced the NLL Champion's Cup Finals will expand to a best-of-three game series effective for the upcoming 2015 season. The change was unanimously approved today by the NLL Board of Governors.
"Based on the success of the 2014 playoffs, this was the obvious next step for us," said NLL Commissioner George Daniel. "The 2015 playoffs promise to be our best ever."
The first two rounds of the playoffs shall remain under the same format as last year with single elimination for both first-round Division Semifinal games and a two-game series for the Division Finals. As adopted for 2014, a 10-minute tiebreaker game will be played immediately following Game 2 of the Division Finals should the series be tied 1-1.
During the 2014 NLL Champion's Cup Finals, the two-game attendance average was 12,865 while overall attendance for the entire 2014 NLL postseason averaged 10,821 fans, which marked a 62% increase from 2013.
With the expansion to a best-of-three series for the Champion's Cup Finals, the league is further following the expansion of the playoff format introduced in 2014 where the format was expanded from single elimination to the two-game series format for the Division Finals and Champion's Cup Finals.
The 2015 NLL Champion's Cup Finals best-of-three series will be played on consecutive weekends with the higher-seeded team hosting Game 1 and Game 3 (if necessary). The Champion's Cup Finals are scheduled to commence with Game 1 on the weekend of May 30, 2015.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 22, 2014
- Roughnecks Select Four Players in 2014 NLL Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Add Four from Six Nations in NLL Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Bandits Draft Five Players, Acquire Weiss at 2014 NLL Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Mammoth Bolsters Roster in Draft with Two First-Rounders - Colorado Mammoth
- Black Wolves Make 10 Selections in 2014 NLL Entry Draft - New England Black Wolves
- Minnesota Swarm Select Miles Thompson with Third Overall Pick - Minnesota Swarm
- 2014 NLL Draft Results Announced - NLL
- Rock Select Four in NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Edmonton Rush 2014 NLL Draft Recap - Edmonton Rush
- Knighthawks Bring Back Jordan Hall - Rochester Knighthawks
- A Noble Becomes a Knighthawk - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rush Select Ben McIntosh First Overall - Edmonton Rush
- League Expands Playoff Format - NLL
- Minnesota Swarm Ready for 2014 NLL Draft Tonight - Minnesota Swarm
- Minnesota Swarm's Jordan Macintosh and Logan Schuss Win NLL Player Awards - Minnesota Swarm
- Knighthawks Pull off Blockbuster Trade - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.