Rookie Defenseman Mitchell Smith Signs with Solar Bears
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning, announced rookie defenseman Mitchell Smith has signed an ECHL Standard Player Contract for the 2023-24 season.
Smith, 20, turns pro after playing three seasons for the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Saginaw, Michigan native did not compete in hockey activities during the 2020-21 season.
Smith led the Spirit in scoring among defenseman with 52 points (14g-38a) in 66 games during the 2022-23 campaign. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound rearguard also made his mark on the OHL playoffs, scoring 10 points (4g-6a) in 11 games, including an overtime game-winning goal in the opening round.
Smith has participated in two NHL development camps in his career, in 2021 with the Colorado Avalanche and 2022 with the San Jose Sharks, competing in the Rookie FaceOff Tournament in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Over his 190-game OHL career, Smith tallied 118 points (37g-81a) ranking him third all-time in Spirit scoring among defensemen. Smith's early success in the OHL landed him on the Second All-Rookie Team following the 2019-20 season. He was named an alternate captain ahead of the 2021-22 season and was named captain of the Spirit midway through the 2022-23 season.
Keep up to speed with the Solar Bears roster updates from players past and present on the Orlando Solar Bears Off-Season Headquarters.
SOLAR BEARS PRESEASON ROSTER:
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 24, 2023
- Thunder Ink Lucas Herrmann, Devon Becker - Adirondack Thunder
- Rush Name Peter Drikos Assistant Coach - Rapid City Rush
- Join Slapshot's Kids Club - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Adrien Beraldo Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Forward Zane Franklin Re-Signs with Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Heartlanders Set 2023-24 Promotional Calendar - Iowa Heartlanders
- Nailers Name Mitch Giguere as Assistant Coach - Wheeling Nailers
- Rookie Defenseman Mitchell Smith Signs with Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Sign Rookie Forward Ted Nichol - Kalamazoo Wings
- 65 Days Until Royals Opening Night Presented by Supportive Concepts - Reading Royals
- Icemen Add Size with Physical Defenseman Jack Van Boekel - Jacksonville Icemen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Congrats Joe Fitzpatrick, You Are the Dano's Tequila Player for a Day Winner
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update
- Solar Bears Announce Multiple Transactions
- Solar Bears Claim GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS© Title for Largest Gathering of People Wearing Aloha Shirts
- Marc-Andre Gaudet Reassigned to Orlando Solar Bears