Rockets Take Win in Shootout
The Kelowna Rockets downed the Tri-City Americans 4-3 in a shootout Wednesday night at Prospera Place.
Erik Gardiner(5) got things started for the Rockets 8:15 into the opening period when he was able to whack his own rebound past Americans starting goaltender, Talyn Boyko. Liam Kindree(6) would extend the lead to 2-0 at 14:07. Nolan Foote's shot was initially blocked, but was there Kindree was there squeak the puck past Boyko. The Rockets headed into the first intermission with a 2-0 lead.
The Rockets made it 3-0 just 1:54 into the second period. Liam Kindree was sitting behind the net when he found Nolan Foote(17) all alone in front. Kyle Topping was called for high sticking with 51 seconds left in the period. The Americans were able to capitalize on the power play when Parker AuCoin(14) scored on Rockets starter, James Porter. After 40 minutes of play, the Rockets held a 3-1 lead.
Lassi Thomson was called for tripping after he delivered a hip check. The Americans were able to pull within one goal on the ensuing power play when AuCoin scored his second of the night at 8:53. Offsetting minors were called after some pushing and shoving just past the midway point in the period. With plenty of room to play the teams went back and forth, Aaron Hyman(6) tied the game with 2:36 left to play in the third. The game remained tied as the period ended, overtime would be needed.
During overtime the teams exchanged chances. With 11 seconds remaining, Porter looked down and out but got his paddle out to stop a sure looking goal. A shootout would be needed to determine a winner.
The Rockets elected to shoot first. Kindree and Nolan Yaremko both missed in the opening round. Foote was successful for the Rockets in the second round while Kyle Olsen missed. With the game on his stick, Leif Mattson was triumphant in securing the win for the Rockets.
Kelowna's record moves to 13-15-2-0.
James Porter's record is now 4-6-1-0, he stopped 28 of the 31 shots he faced. The Americans outshot the Rockets 31-27.
Kelowna will be back in action Friday, December 7th when they host the Victoria Royals at Prospera Place for the final home game before the Christmas break. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets LW Erik Gardiner celebrates a goal
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2018
- Silvertips Prospect Defenseman Olen Zellweger Named to U16 Team Alberta for Canada Winter Games - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Announce Roster Change Move - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rockets Play Last Home Game before Christmas - Kelowna Rockets
- Ostapchuk, Sim to Represent Alberta at 2019 Canada Winter Games - Vancouver Giants
- SHDIC Alumni & Celebrity Classic - Swift Current Broncos
- Hausinger Surprised, But Pleased to be Back with Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Acquire Swetlikoff - Kelowna Rockets
- Hockey Canada awards 2021 World Juniors to Edmonton and Red Deer - WHL
- Wheat Kings Host League Leading Raiders Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary's Sheen Named Canada West WHL Graduate of the Month - WHL
- ICE Name Peyton Krebs 23rd Captain in Franchise History - Kootenay Ice
- Red Deer and Edmonton to Host 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship - Red Deer Rebels
- Sogaard Invited to Danish World Juniors Selection Camp - Medicine Hat Tigers
- 'Canes Top ICE in OT - Kootenay Ice
- Three Rockets Prospects Named to Team BC Canada Winter Games Roster - Kelowna Rockets
- Americans Make Late Comeback, Fall 3-2 in a Shootout to Rockets - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets Take Win in Shootout - Kelowna Rockets
- Patterson Debuts with Goal in Silvertips' Win - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Thwarted by Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Edmonton Soars past Pats - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Foote invited to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp
- 2019 NHL Draft Preview
- Rockets announce 2019 preseason schedule
- Basran invited to Hockey Canada's 2019 Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp
- Four Rockets attending NHL Scouting Combine