Rockets pick up a point in the shootout
The Kelowna Rockets picked up a point in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Victoria Royals on Saturday night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Arena in Victoria B.C.
The Royals special teams carried their team throughout the night, netting a shorthanded goal and a pair of power-play tallies for force the game to go to extra time on the island.
The Rockets took an early lead just 1:14 into the game on a goal from Kyle Topping (10). Tarun Fizer (17) took off on a shorthanded breakaway to even up the game just before the midway point of the period. Trevor Wong (5) pushed the Rockets ahead with four seconds left in the first, driving to the net he connected on Pavel Novak's centering feed.
Sixteen-year-old defenceman Elias Carmichael (1) put the Rockets up 3-1 with his first WHL goal. Brayden Tracey (19) made it a one-goal game late in the second with a power-play goal.
Tracey (20) tied up the game 19 seconds into the third with his second power-play goal of the game. Dillon Hamaliuk appeared to give the Rockets the lead again with 3:57 to play in the third, but it was waved off due to goaltender interference.
In overtime, Kyle Topping had everyone beat as he worked his way around the defence but nailed the post.
The Rocket shot first in the shootout. Conner McDonald (goal), Matthew Wedman (X) and Kyle Topping (X) fired for the Rockets
Kaid Oliver (goal), Gary Haden (goal) were both successful for the Royals.
Victoria outshot Kelowna 37-36.
The Rockets went 0-for-5 on the power play, while the Royals were 1-for-2 with the man advantage. Nolan Foote (lower-body), Liam Kindree (upper-body), Steel Quiring, Michael Farren (upper-body), Jarod Newell and Sean Comrie (upper-body) were the Rockets scratches. Defenceman Tyson Feist made his return to the lineup from an upper-body injury that had held him out for the last two games.
The Rockets will now make their way to Prince George for a pair of weekday games up north. The Rockets will battle the Cougars at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday night.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets battle the Victoria Royals
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- Delta Hockey Academy Green Win Inaugural WHL U.S. Challenge Cup - WHL
- Pats Trip Kings in OT - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: February 23 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude Three in Three Sunday at Home to Brandon - Regina Pats
- Wolf and Goncalves Help Tips Break Giants' Streak - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Shoot Past Rockets on Sold out Pink in the Rink Night - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen Clinch Playoff Berth with 6-4 Win in Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets pick up a point in the shootout - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Get Late Power Play Goal to Topple Americans in High-Scoring Affair - Red Deer Rebels
- Brendan Williamson's First Career Goal Silences Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Fall 2-1 to Chiefs - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett - Vancouver Giants
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Come up Short in Back-And-Forth Game against Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Wheat Kings on Wrong End of 2-1 Decision against Raiders - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Pair of Rockets prospects named to BC Hockey's All-Star teams
- Rockets make a pair of selections at 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft
- Kelowna Rockets Announce Award Winners
- Kelowna Rockets provide update on players during 2019-20 season pause
- Rockets Cancel Awards Ceremony