Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle
Dante Giannuzzi ties his career high with 30 saves against Seattle, but the Thunderbirds beat the Hawks 3-2 on Saturday night. Seattle kept Portland to just 32 shots on goal and tonight was their first regulation win against Portland in nine meetings this year.
Each team scored in the opening frame to make it a 1-1 contest through 20 minutes of play. Jonas BrÃ¸ndberg tallied the game's first goal on the game's first shot 1:11 into the night. But Seattle was rewarded with three consecutive power play chances and they cashed in to tie the game. Matthew Rempe shot in the backdoor pass to make it 1-1. It was his ninth point against the Hawks in eight games this season.
The I-5 Rivalry remained tied through 40 minutes of play as each team tacked on second period goals. Kai Uchacz scored his second goal of the season a few minutes in to the middle stanza, but Portland's leading scorer Seth Jarvis tied the game at 2-2 a few minutes later.
Brendan Williamson scored the lone third period goal, the eventual game-winning goal for Seattle in the final four minutes of play. It was his first goal in the Western Hockey League. Portland pulled Giannuzzi for the extra attacker and despite taking the last five shots of the game, Seattle held on to win at home.
The Winterhawks return home on Sunday evening at Veterans Memorial Coliseum for a 5:00pm game against the second place Everett Silvertips.
Alternate captain Matthew Quigley has assists in three straight games.
BrÃ¸ndberg has scored three goals in his last five games.
Portland is 5-1-0-3 this season against Seattle.
Box Score (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Dante Giannuzzi stopped 30-of-33 shots.
SEA: Roddy Ross stopped 30-of-32 shots.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- Delta Hockey Academy Green Win Inaugural WHL U.S. Challenge Cup - WHL
- Pats Trip Kings in OT - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: February 23 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude Three in Three Sunday at Home to Brandon - Regina Pats
- Wolf and Goncalves Help Tips Break Giants' Streak - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Shoot Past Rockets on Sold out Pink in the Rink Night - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen Clinch Playoff Berth with 6-4 Win in Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets pick up a point in the shootout - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Get Late Power Play Goal to Topple Americans in High-Scoring Affair - Red Deer Rebels
- Brendan Williamson's First Career Goal Silences Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Fall 2-1 to Chiefs - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett - Vancouver Giants
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Come up Short in Back-And-Forth Game against Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Wheat Kings on Wrong End of 2-1 Decision against Raiders - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.