Hitmen Clinch Playoff Berth with 6-4 Win in Kamloops
Kamloops, BC - The Calgary Hitmen clinched a playoff berth for the second year in a row and for the eighth time in nine seasons with a 6-4 victory over the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday night at Sandman Centre.
The win closed a very successful five-game B.C. Division road trip for Calgary which collected eight of a possible 10 points while posting a record of 4-1.
Defenceman Jackson van de Leest led the scoring attack with three assists while Luke Prokop, Cael Zimmerman and Orca Wiesblatt all notched a goal and an assist. Riley Stotts, Riley Fiddler-Schultz and Kyle Olson rounded out the scoring for the visitors.
The Hitmen built leads of 2-0, 3-1 and 5-2 but were outshot 50-22. Rookie goaltender Brayden Peters made 46 saves to record the win while Mark Kastelic and Jett Woo both chipped in an assist to extend their team-leading point scoring streaks to seven games.
The Blazers received goals from four different players including a goal and an assist from Conner Zary.
The Hitmen, 33-19-4-1, return home to Scotiabank Saddledome on Thursday, Feb. 27 against Winnipeg in the TELUS BE BRAVE #EndBullying Game. The puck drops at 11:00 a.m. for the educational event that will see more than 12,000 students in attendance learn about acceptance and bullying prevention. It will also signal the start of seven games in 10 days for Calgary.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- Delta Hockey Academy Green Win Inaugural WHL U.S. Challenge Cup - WHL
- Pats Trip Kings in OT - Regina Pats
- Game Day Hub: February 23 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude Three in Three Sunday at Home to Brandon - Regina Pats
- Wolf and Goncalves Help Tips Break Giants' Streak - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Shoot Past Rockets on Sold out Pink in the Rink Night - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen Clinch Playoff Berth with 6-4 Win in Kamloops - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets pick up a point in the shootout - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Get Late Power Play Goal to Topple Americans in High-Scoring Affair - Red Deer Rebels
- Brendan Williamson's First Career Goal Silences Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Fall 2-1 to Chiefs - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett - Vancouver Giants
- Dante Giannuzzi Ties Career High 30 Saves in Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Come up Short in Back-And-Forth Game against Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Wheat Kings on Wrong End of 2-1 Decision against Raiders - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.