Rockets comeback bid falls short
The Kelowna Rockets came back from a three-goal deficit Sunday afternoon but fell 5-3 to the Kamloops Blazers at the Sandman Centre in Kamloops, B.C.
Import player Pavel Novak made his North American debut with the Rockets, picking up an assist on the Rockets first goal.
The Blazers opened the scoring 5:21 into the game when Connor Zary (1) beat Rockets goaltender James Porter. Kamloops added to their lead 33 seconds later when Kyrell Sopotyk (1) made it 2-0. Josh Pillar (1) made it a three-goal lead with just over five minutes to go in the opening frame.
Kelowna stormed back in the opening minutes of the second period. Defencemen Cayde Augustine (1) got the Rockets on the board, Alex Swetlikoff (1) made it a one-goal game and Liam Kindree (1) tied it up. Roman Basran replaced Porter in net for the Rockets just past the midway point of the game. Tye Spencer (2) established the Blazers lead with 60 seconds to play in the period.
The two teams exchanged chances throughout the period, but the Rockets could not pull in front. Reese Belton (1) added the insurance goal for the Blazers.
Kelowna's preseason record is now 1-1-0-0.
Porter stopped 20 of the 23 shots he faced while Roman Basran stopped 18 of the 20 fired on him. The Blazers outshot the Rockets 43 - 31.
The Rockets will head to Langley to face the Everett Silvertips in Vancouver's tournament Saturday, September 7. Puck drop is set for 3:30pm, you can follow along here or on the Rockets twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Team White Edges Team Black 4-3 in OT at Winnipeg ICE Training Camp Showcase Game - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Trim Roster to 32 Players - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Mutala Scores Hat Trick to Defeat Portland 3-2 - Tri-City Americans
- 17 Year Olds Lead the Way against Tri-City - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets comeback bid falls short - Kelowna Rockets
- Team White Wins Annual Intrasquad Game - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Wrap up Weekend with a 2-1 Shootout Win over Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- New Food/Drink Options, Broadcast Details and More - Swift Current Broncos
- Strong Goaltending Not Enough as Chiefs Lose 2-1 in Shootout - Spokane Chiefs
- Team White 6, Team Black 4 in Hitmen Intrasquad Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Nash Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Team One Captures Inaugural Jarret Stoll Cup - Winnipeg Ice
- Americans Lose Preseason Game 4-3 to Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Gurney a Standout in Preseason Win - Everett Silvertips
- Broncos Complete Comeback in Shootout over Pats - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Win First Game of 2019 - Portland Winterhawks
- Preseason Shootout in Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Beaten by Blazers - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.