Rochester Shuts out Herd on Three Hits, 4-0
A night after picking up their first shutout of the season, the Bisons had the tables turned on them by their closest rival.
The Red Wings blanked the Herd, 4-0, on just three hits, Wednesday night from Frontier Field. Following Buffalo's 5-0 victory on Tuesday night, the three-game set is now tied heading into Thursday's kids day morning start in Rochester (11:05 a.m.).
The Bisons had just four base runners after the first inning in a game that was the Red Wings' throughout. Starter Kohl Stewart allowed just one hit over five innings to earn the victory. The reliver combination of Fernando Romero and Ryan Eades then closed out the shutout by allowing just two hits to Buffalo while striking out five over the final four frames.
Wednesday's contest was pretty much decided after the first inning as each team loaded the bases. Buffalo started with a two-out double by Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and then walks by Cavan Biggio and Andy Burns. However, the Herd's lone threat on the evening ended when Stewart struck out Reese McGuire on three pitches.
The Red Wings, meanwhile, took advantage of their opportunity and knocked Bisons starter Jacob Waguespack out of the game after eight batters. Randy Cesar drew the bases loaded walk to open the scoring and Wilin Rosario made it 2-0 with a sacrifice fly. Waguespack then issued two more walks to force in another run and Rochester had all they needed for a victory.
In all, Bisons pitchers walked eight batters in the loss. With the defeat, Waguespack fell to 2-6 on the season.Jordan Romano threw two shutout innings of relief, striking out three batters.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Rochester Shuts out Herd on Three Hits, 4-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Stripers 9-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Stewart, Wings Blank Bisons - Rochester Red Wings
- Jackson's Homer Leads Stripers over Knights 9-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hammer Time with some late charge gives Pigs edge - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Toledo's Bats Come Alive in Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pair of three-run home runs lead RailRiders to victory over Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Loses to Lehigh Valley, 6-4, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Brentz, PawSox Rally Late, Fall to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- McRae's Gem Spoiled But Indians Rally to Win in Extras - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Rally But Come up Short in the 10th Inning, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Indianapolis Indians
- MiLB and American Cancer Society Team up for Sun Safety - IL
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Save the Date: Bisons Family Day Open House Set for Saturday, March 21
- Blue Jays Add Veteran Petricka with Minor League Deal
- Pearson, Snead, Tice Among Seven 2019 Bisons Invited to Blue Jays Camp.
- 'Season Starter' Pack Includes Opening Day, 75% in Savings
- White, Hart Return as Blue Jays Announce Herd Coaching Staff