Stewart, Wings Blank Bisons
The Rochester Red Wings notched a 4-0 win over the Buffalo Bisons Wednesday night at Frontier Field. The teams meet in an 11:05 a.m. game Thursday, when the Wings will take the field as the Rochester Plates.
After loading the bases in the first inning, Wings starter Kohl Stewart got out of trouble with a big two-out strikeout.
Rochester loaded the bases themselves in the bottom half before Buffalo starter Jacob Waguespack walked Randy Cesar, scoring the first run of the game. Wilin Rosario's sacrifice fly and another bases-loaded walk brought home the Wings second and third runs, making the score 3-0. This second run-scoring walk led to Waguespack being replaced by Conor Fisk, having thrown 0.2 innings, allowing two hits and three runs. He walked four and struck out one on 41 pitches, 21 for strikes.
After leading off the fifth inning with a hard hit double to left field, Rosario came around to score on a Drew Maggi double, extending the Wings lead to 4-0.
Fernando Romero came on in relief of Stewart to begin the bottom of the sixth inning. Stewart finished the game with an impressive line of 5.0 innings pitched, one hit, zero runs, three walks, and four strikeouts, all coming on 79 pitches, 45 strikes. Stewart's only allowed hit came on a first inning drive to center field by Lourdes Gurriel Jr. which came loose out of Jake Cave's glove on diving glove.
Romero threw 2.2 excellent innings, his first outing extending more than 1.0 innings this season. Romero struck out four and walked one.
Ryan Eades worked the final 1.1 innings, allowing a single and striking out one.
The Red Wings out-hit the Bisons 8-3.
Winning pitcher: Stewart (3-2)
Losing pitcher: Waguespack (2-6)
Box Score: Click here for the box score and play-by-play narrative.
NOTES: INF Randy Cesar extended his on base streak to 10 games with a first inning walk..... Jake Cave improved his on base streak to 5 games with a sixth inning walk..... Jordany Valdespin's on base streak is now 5 games following his first inning walk.
Radio and Webcast information | MiLB.TV subscription information
THIS DAY IN RED WINGS HISTORY
1973 - Fred Frazier and Royle Stillman each knocked in runs as Rochester rallied to score three runs in the ninth inning and beat Peninsula 3-2. The winning pitcher was Mark Weems, who pitched three perfect innings in relief of starter Don Hood.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Rochester Shuts out Herd on Three Hits, 4-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Stripers 9-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Stewart, Wings Blank Bisons - Rochester Red Wings
- Jackson's Homer Leads Stripers over Knights 9-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hammer Time with some late charge gives Pigs edge - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Toledo's Bats Come Alive in Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pair of three-run home runs lead RailRiders to victory over Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Loses to Lehigh Valley, 6-4, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Brentz, PawSox Rally Late, Fall to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- McRae's Gem Spoiled But Indians Rally to Win in Extras - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Rally But Come up Short in the 10th Inning, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Indianapolis Indians
- MiLB and American Cancer Society Team up for Sun Safety - IL
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.