Jackson's Homer Leads Stripers over Knights 9-1
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Alex Jackson hit a three-run home run and Kolby Allard tossed 6.0 one-run innings on Wednesday night as the Gwinnett Stripers (27-18) defeated the Charlotte Knights (24-19) 9-1 at Coolray Field.
Scoring Recap: Jackson (8) broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning with a 415-foot homer to left-center off Colton Turner to put the Stripers up 3-0. The Knights answered back in the fifth as D.J. Peterson (6) hit a solo homer to left-center off Allard to make it 3-1. In the bottom of the fifth, Adam Duvall drove in two runs with a single to extend Gwinnett's lead to 5-1. The Stripers scored four more runs in the sixth to make it 9-1, getting a two-run double from Sean Kazmar Jr. and an RBI single from Duvall.
Stripers Stats: Allard (W, 4-2) turned in his third quality start of the year, allowing one run on four hits and striking out four over 6.0 innings. Wes Parsons, Grant Dayton, and Jason Creasy all tossed a scoreless inning out of the bullpen. Duvall went 3-for-4 with a double and three RBIs, Jackson went 1-for-3 with a homer and three RBIs, and Kazmar Jr. went 1-for-4 with a double and two RBIs.
Knights Stats: Turner (L, 2-2) was tagged with the loss after he pitched 4.1 innings and gave up five runs on seven hits. Ivan De Jesus Jr. went 2-for-3 for the Knights offense.
Quote: "It's a team effort. You see pitches you can hit and you relay information," Jackson said. "Sometimes it can happen later rather than earlier."
Postgame Notes: Travis Demeritte drew a walk to extend his on-base streak to 24 games but saw his 10-game hitting streak snapped. The Stripers lead the International League with 77 home runs, 44 of which have
Next Game (Thursday, May 23): Gwinnett vs. Charlotte, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Huascar Ynoa (1-0, 9.00 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Dylan Cease (3-1, 3.70 ERA) for the Knights. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Rochester Shuts out Herd on Three Hits, 4-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Stripers 9-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Stewart, Wings Blank Bisons - Rochester Red Wings
- Jackson's Homer Leads Stripers over Knights 9-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hammer Time with some late charge gives Pigs edge - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Toledo's Bats Come Alive in Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pair of three-run home runs lead RailRiders to victory over Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Loses to Lehigh Valley, 6-4, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Brentz, PawSox Rally Late, Fall to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- McRae's Gem Spoiled But Indians Rally to Win in Extras - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Rally But Come up Short in the 10th Inning, 4-3 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Indianapolis Indians
- MiLB and American Cancer Society Team up for Sun Safety - IL
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (23-18) at Louisville Bats (18-26) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.