Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies
COLUMBIA, S.C. - The Power offense scored in each of the first three innings to support Domingo Robles' 10th quality start of the year in a 6-1 victory over the Columbia Fireflies Monday evening at Spirit Communications Park.
Columbia (15-21, 49-54) faltered against Robles (8-6), who finished the game with seven innings pitched, while allowing just one run on three hits.
West Virginia (16-20, 53-49) jumped out to a quick start, scoring in each of the first four innings. Oneil Cruz singled to lead off the game, and after Calvin Mitchell walked, Raul Hernandez doubled to score the two of them and break the scoreless tie. The next batter, Robbie Glendinning, knocked a single to score Hernandez and move West Virginia's lead to 3-0.
The offense was not done there though. They would add a run in each of the next three innings against the starter, Jake Simon (0-5). Cruz smashed a solo shot in the second and Hernandez matched that in the third to give West Virginia a 5-1 lead going into the fourth.
Kyle Watson walked to start the fourth, and he stole to second before Lolo Sanchez pushed him home with a sacrifice fly to center field.
This marked the second consecutive day that West Virginia has scored at least one run in each of the first three innings.
The Fireflies' lone run came in the top of the first. Edgardo Fermin doubled to lead off the inning and was knocked in by a Scott Manea sacrifice fly.
For a second consecutive day, West Virginia only needed one arm from the bullpen. Joel Cesar came in and pitched two perfect innings to close out the game for the Power.
West Virginia continues their three-game series in Columbia, S.C., Tuesday evening at 7:05 p.m. at Spirit Communications Ballpark. Righty Hunter Stratton (4-4, 5.05 ERA) gets the nod for the Power, while the Fireflies counter with RHP Tony Dibrell (4-5, 3.17 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at www.wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
After three games in Columbia, S.C., West Virginia returns to Appalachian Power Park for a four-game set against the Augusta GreenJackets from August 2-5. The homestand includes a Thirsty Thursday, presented by Rock 105, Fireworks Friday, presented by Brickstreet Insurance and Electric 102.7, Back-to-School Night with a backpack giveaway courtesy of Todd Judy Ford, and a Kidz Sunday Funday. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Julio, Tourists Start Fast; Beat Drive in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Hold-Off Legends Late Rally in 6-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Wild 'Birds Clipped by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies - West Virginia Power
- Garcia Goes Yard Again as 'Dads Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Inning Comes up Short - Augusta GreenJackets
- Despite Ninth Inning Rally, Lexington Legends Fall in Game One to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Hit Three Homers in Win over Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers to Battle Braves - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 30 vs. West Virginia (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- MLB Jr. Home Run Derby Saturday at Appalachian Power Park
- Power Set to Host Home Run Derby Saturday
- Game Notes (April 23)
- Chandler Strikes out 10 in 5-0 Win
- Game Notes (April 22)