Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome
Rome, GA - The Greensboro Grasshoppers edged the Rome Braves 6-5 Monday night at State Mutual Stadium before a crowd of 1,518.
Thomas Jones cracked his ninth home run of the season and Marcos Rivera added a sacrifice fly RBI to give Greensboro a 2-0 lead in the top half of the first inning. Rome tied the contest 2-2 in the bottom of the frame on Brendan Venter's sacrifice fly RBI and a run scoring double by Drew Lugbauer. In the third, the Braves took a 4-2 lead thanks to a double by Venter to score a run and Greyson Jenista's single to plate the fourth run of the game. Greensboro cut the lead to one with a run in the fourth on a bases loaded walk for the 4-3 score. The Braves made it a 5-3 game in the fifth on another sacrifice fly RBI this time by William Contreras. It became a one run game again in the seventh when the Grasshoppers touched the plate on Tristan Pompey's RBI base hit making it a 5-4 game. In the ninth, Isael Soto drove a two-out, 0-2 pitch from Braves reliever Cutter Dyals to the gap in right-center to score two runs giving Greensboro a 6-5 edge. The Braves went quietly in the bottom of the inning and the Grasshoppers held on for the win.
Ryan McKay (1-1) gets the win in relief while Dyals (4-2) is hit with the blown save and loss for Rome. Steven Farnsworth (1) gets the save.
The Braves face the Grasshoppers again head tomorrow evening at seven. For information contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or log onto www.romebraves.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Julio, Tourists Start Fast; Beat Drive in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Hold-Off Legends Late Rally in 6-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Wild 'Birds Clipped by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies - West Virginia Power
- Garcia Goes Yard Again as 'Dads Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Inning Comes up Short - Augusta GreenJackets
- Despite Ninth Inning Rally, Lexington Legends Fall in Game One to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Hit Three Homers in Win over Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers to Battle Braves - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 30 vs. West Virginia (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.