Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen
COLUMBIA, SC - Columbia was trailing West Virginia by four runs when right-hander Nicolas Debora took the mound in the fourth inning on Monday. Six frames later, Debora had silenced a hot offense. The reliever allowed just one earned run over six innings but he and his team still lost the series opener to the Power, 6-1.
Debora spun another dandy at home. The Dominican owns a 2.27 ERA at Spirit Communications Park over 11 outings (31.2 innings). On Monday, Debora struck out four and scattered just four hits.
Columbia (15-21, 49-54) trailed West Virginia (16-20, 53-49), 5-1, when the reliever took the mound, though, and did not muster any other offense the rest of the evening. Nevertheless, Gio Alfonzo did extend his hit streak to eight games with a seventh-inning single.
Top 1 - Raul Hernandez drives in a pair with a double ... Robbie Glendinning singles home Hernandez. WV 3, COL 0
Bottom 1 - Scott Manea's sac fly scores Edgardo Fermin. WV 3, COL 1
Top 2 - Oneil Cruz homers (13). WV 4, COL 1
Top 3 - Hernandez homers (1). WV 5, COL 1
Top 4 - Lolo Sanchez sacrifice fly scores Kyle Watson from third. WV 6, COL 1
Columbia battles West Virginia once again on Tuesday at 7:05 ET. The expected starters are righty Tony Dibrell (4-5, 3.17) for Fireflies and right-hander Hunter Stratton (4-4, 5.05) for the Power.
You can watch the action on MiLB.TV or listen in on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the TuneIn Radio app starting at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Julio, Tourists Start Fast; Beat Drive in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Hold-Off Legends Late Rally in 6-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Wild 'Birds Clipped by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies - West Virginia Power
- Garcia Goes Yard Again as 'Dads Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Inning Comes up Short - Augusta GreenJackets
- Despite Ninth Inning Rally, Lexington Legends Fall in Game One to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Hit Three Homers in Win over Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers to Battle Braves - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 30 vs. West Virginia (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 18 vs. Hickory (Game 14)
- Rasquin, Mauricio Lead Fireflies to Victory and Series Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 17 at Rome (Game 13)
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series