Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva
SALISBURY, MD - Colby Fitch put the BlueClaws ahead with a sixth inning home run and Lakewood won for the 15th time in their last 19 games, topping Delmarva 7-4 on Monday night at Perdue Stadium.
The BlueClaws (25-12/66-40) have now won four straight games and have reached 26-games over .500 for the first time this year. Lakewood improves to 12-5 this year against Delmarva (19-17/54-49) in taking the first game of their three-game series.
The BlueClaws, trailing 2-1, took the lead in the top of the sixth on a two-run home run from Colby Fitch. It was Fitch's fourth home run of the year, eighth as a pro and first long ball since June 6th.
That chased starter Luis Perez (2-1), who allowed three runs in 5.1 innings and took the loss. Max Knutson came on and gave up two more. Quincy Nieporte, who singled, scored on a wild pitch and Daniel Brito singled home Josh Stephen, who doubled, to give the BlueClaws a 5-2 lead.
After Delmarva got a run in the seventh, the BlueClaws got two runs in teh eighth off Brandon Bonilla without a hit. One scored on a wild pitch and Daniel Brito added a SAC fly for a 7-3 lead.
Luis Carrasco, who did give up one run in the eighth, got the last seven outs for his third save.
Delmarva had scored twice in the first off Julian Garcia (5-2) on a two-run triple from Trevor Craport. Those, however, were the only two runs allowed by Garcia, who sent five innings, allowing four hits and striking out six.
Fitch and Jose Antequera had two hits apiece for Lakewood in the win.
The BlueClaws maintained a four-game lead in the SAL Northern Division on both Hickory and Kannapolis, Lakewood's largest lead of either half.
The teams continue their series on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Spencer howard (6-7) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP DL Hall (2-6).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Julio, Tourists Start Fast; Beat Drive in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Hold-Off Legends Late Rally in 6-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Wild 'Birds Clipped by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies - West Virginia Power
- Garcia Goes Yard Again as 'Dads Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Inning Comes up Short - Augusta GreenJackets
- Despite Ninth Inning Rally, Lexington Legends Fall in Game One to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Hit Three Homers in Win over Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers to Battle Braves - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 30 vs. West Virginia (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.