Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists
Greenville, SC - The Greenville Drive made a valiant comeback in Monday's series opener against the Asheville Tourists, and despite outhitting the Tourists 13-9, the visiting Tourists came away with a 6-5 victory in 10 innings at Fluor Field.
Asheville (17-18, 44-60) scored the free runner plus another in the extra frame off Juan Florentino (5-3) to take a 6-4 lead into the bottom of the 10th. The Drive (21-16, 46-60) trimmed the lead to one on Jordan Wren's third hit of the game, but Tourists reliever Tommy Doyle recorded a strikeout to end the game.
The Drive were in an early hole after a rare difficult inning for starter Denyi Reyes. Asheville plated three runs in the top of the first thanks to an RBI single from Sean Bouchard and a two-run home run from Casey Golden.
From that point on, Reyes would settle back into his usual ways, as he set down 15 of the final 16 batters he faced.
Greenville cut the deficit to 3-1 in the fourth with an RBI single from Zach Sterry, who went 2-4 on the night.
After Asheville scored a run on a Drive error in the top of the seventh, Greenville leveled the game at four with a three-run inning, capped by a two-run home run by Ryan Fitzgerald. The home run was his eighth of the season and fourth in the last 10 days.
Fitzgerald and Marino Campana joined Sterry and Wren with multi-hit games.
Braxton Lorenzini (4-0) got the win with a scoreless ninth for Asheville, and the save was Doyle's ninth of the season.
The Drive will try to rebound during Tuesday's doubleheader at Fluor Field with first pitch of game one scheduled for 4:30 PM. Left-hander Enmanuel De Jesus (4-3, 3.73) will take the mound for Greenville to face Tourists lefty Nick Kennedy (2-11, 7.36) in game one. In the nightcap, Drive left-hander Angel Padron (2-4, 4.26) is scheduled to take the mound against Tourists righty Nate Harris (2-1, 3.99).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Drive Drop Monday's Extra Inning Contest to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Julio, Tourists Start Fast; Beat Drive in Extras - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Hold-Off Legends Late Rally in 6-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Wild 'Birds Clipped by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Robles Rolls in 6-1 Win over 'Flies - West Virginia Power
- Garcia Goes Yard Again as 'Dads Take Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Two-Out Rally in Ninth Inning Comes up Short - Augusta GreenJackets
- Despite Ninth Inning Rally, Lexington Legends Fall in Game One to Hagerstown Suns - Lexington Legends
- Fitch's Home Run Gives BlueClaws Series-Opening Win at Delmarva - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ninth Inning Rally Leads Greensboro Over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Hit Three Homers in Win over Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Debora Mutes West Virginia; Righty Spins Six Dazzling Frames out of the Bullpen - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers to Battle Braves - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 30 vs. West Virginia (Game 103) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.