Rivets Dismantle Rafters in 10-2 Win
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Rockford Rivets (24-32) ran away with a 10-2 win against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters on Saturday night at Witter Field.
Jimmy Burnette suffocated the Rafters' bats all night and had a no-hitter going into the seventh. After an infield single to break it up, Anthony Leedle came on to hold the Rafters scoreless for the next two innings, before Anthony Dahl finished it off in the bottom of the ninth.
"I had my slider working really well tonight," Burnette said of his first win of the season, "I was throwing it for strikes, throwing it where I wanted, so it was my fastball command and my slider that was working well."
Parker Bates was the offensive MVP for the Rivets tonight accumulating five RBIs and going 3-6 on his way to earning Northwoods League Player of the Night. Cade Bunnell had two RBIs to add to that total, and Ryan Cole chipped one in as well. Bunnell, Parker Kelly, and Brennan Reback all scored multiple times for Rockford as well.
"I was recognizing pitches, seeing the ball real well today," Bates said of his night, "I just tried to put the ball into play every time, but shout out to Jimmy [Burnette], who had the no-hitter through six and he was just allowing us to free up and get all those runs today."
This stops a skid of 12 straight road losses by the Rivets and gives them their first win streak of the second half of the season. With 15 games left, the Rivets find themselves only three games back of fourth place in the overall standings.
"Every time we go out there in the first inning as a pitching staff it allows the offense to cool off a little bit and not stress so much," Rivets' Manager Brian Smith said, "We had the bases loaded in the first three innings, and we capitalized in the second and third, and you have to do that early against a good team like this."
The Rafters host the Rivets again tomorrow, before the two teams play two more games in Rockford on Monday and Tuesday. First pitch tomorrow is scheduled for 4:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Rivets Lose 6-5 in Extras - Rockford Rivets
- Rafters Finish Homestand with Third Walk-Off Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Don't Call It a Comeback; Huskies Rally to Sweep Bucks - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Drop Series Finale to Kingfish - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bullpen Dominates in 6-3 Win - Madison Mallards
- Barrie's Record Breaking Day Leads Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks' Late Home Run Dooms Woodchucks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bucks Lose Lead, Fall 6-4 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Stingers Split Series with Honkers Losing Game Two 11-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Drop Tough Defeat at Battle Creek in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Honkers Slug Their Way Past Stingers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Seek Revenge against Rivets - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Split Thrilling Doubleheader at Battle Creek - Green Bay Booyah
- Willmar Grabs a Share of First Place Once Again with Win over Rochester - Willmar Stingers
- Rivets Dismantle Rafters in 10-2 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Huskies Nearly No-Hit Bucks, Win in Dominant Fashion - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.