Rivets Lose 6-5 in Extras
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - A gritty comeback fell just short, as the Rockford Rivets (24-33) got walked off in the bottom of the tenth in a 6-5 loss to the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters.
Ryan Cole kicked the scoring off with a solo shot over the left field wall in the top of the second, but after a five-run rally by the Rafters in the bottom half of that inning the Rivets had an uphill battle ahead of them.
The call was answered by a myriad of Rivets as they chipped away at the Rafters' lead for the rest of the game. The Rivets scored on a groundout by Parker Bates in the fourth, a double by Cade Bunnell in the fifth, a single by Parker Kelly in the fifth, and a single by Zach Sehgal in the sixth. That single by Sehgal knotted the game up at five, where it stayed until the bottom of the tenth.
"We got hits with runners in scoring position today," Rivets' Manager Brian Smith said, "The four games after the [All-Star] break, I got really no complaints offensively."
Brad Littleton started on the mound for the Rivets and with the exception of the bottom of the second, Littleton did not allow any other runs. Dane Havemen threw three innings, only allowing two hits and striking out four, while Tanner Propst also did well throwing 1.2 innings but was saddled with the loss after allowing the walk-off base hit. That run will go as unearned.
The series between the Rafters and the Rivets now shifts to Rockford for two straight in front of the Rivets' faithful. Fans can get tickets to tomorrow's game for $1 by buying tickets at rockfordrivets.com and using the promo code: 1BUCK. First pitch tomorrow is slated for 6:35 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Rivets Lose 6-5 in Extras - Rockford Rivets
- Rafters Finish Homestand with Third Walk-Off Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Don't Call It a Comeback; Huskies Rally to Sweep Bucks - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Drop Series Finale to Kingfish - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bullpen Dominates in 6-3 Win - Madison Mallards
- Barrie's Record Breaking Day Leads Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks' Late Home Run Dooms Woodchucks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bucks Lose Lead, Fall 6-4 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Stingers Split Series with Honkers Losing Game Two 11-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Drop Tough Defeat at Battle Creek in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Honkers Slug Their Way Past Stingers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Seek Revenge against Rivets - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Split Thrilling Doubleheader at Battle Creek - Green Bay Booyah
- Willmar Grabs a Share of First Place Once Again with Win over Rochester - Willmar Stingers
- Rivets Dismantle Rafters in 10-2 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Huskies Nearly No-Hit Bucks, Win in Dominant Fashion - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.