Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes
RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS (5-7) VS. NEW BRITAIN ROCK CATS (3-8)
RHP DARYL MADAY (1-0, 1.69) VS. LHP TYLER ROBERTSON (0-0, 5.40)
April 20, 2010 -- 7:05 PM
Game #13/Home #6
Radio Broadcast -- Sports Radio 910 WRNL
Internet Webcast -- www.sportsradio910.com
TONIGHT: The Richmond Flying Squirrels and New Britain Rock Cats will meet in game two of a three-game series...Darren Ford's two-out, RBI triple in the bottom of the seventh was the difference in a 4-3 win for the Flying Squirrels over the Rock Cats on Monday night at The Diamond
TONIGHT'S STARTERS: Right-hander Daryl Maday gets the start in game two of the series for the Flying Squirrels...Got the win in the 2010 home opener for the Flying Squirrels on 4/15...Tossed 5 2/3 scoreless innings, giving up just four hits while striking out four and walking two...All six runners who reached against him did so with two outs...Retired nine straight batters at one point, all on groundouts or strikeouts...Worked out of a two-out, bases loaded jam in the bottom of the fifth...Pulled after giving up an infield single to Reading's Brandon Pinkney...Left to a standing ovation...Retired the leadoff batter in all six innings...Recorded 10 ground outs, four strike outs and three fly outs...Threw 89 pitches, 53 strikes...Has not allowed a run in his last 8 2/3 innings of work.
Left-hander Tyler Robertson gets the nod in game two of a three-game series.... Had his last start at Harrisburg cut short due to rain (4/16) after giving up one run on two hits in two innings...Was matched up with Stephen Strasburg...Did not factor into the decision...Gave up three runs on seven hits in 4 2/3 innings against New Hampshire in his first start...Struck out one and walked one, but did not factor into the decision...Spent all of 2009 with Advanced-A FTM and went 8-8 with a 3.33 ERA in 26GS...103K/51BB in 143.1 IP...Began 2008 in Extended Spring Training before joining FTM and making 15 starts...Went 5-3 with a 2.72 ERA, striking out 73 and walking 31 in 82.2 IP...Appeared in 18G/16GS with Low-A BEL in 2007...Went 9-5 with a 2.29 ERA while striking out 123 and walking 33 in 102.1 IP...Selected by MIN in the 3rd round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.
THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME: The Flying Squirrels improved to 4-1 at The Diamond after last night's 4-3 win over New Britain...Richmond has outscored its opponents 15-10...Flying Squirrels' pitchers have posted a 2.00 ERA at home versus a 3.41 ERA on road...The offense has posted a .243 batting average at home while batting just .235 on the road.
FOUR MORE: Richmond matched its season-high for runs scored in a game with the four runs last night...It marked the fourth time the Flying Squirrels have scored four runs and was the second time in three games...The club has scored just 29 runs through 12 games (2.4 R/G), second fewest in the 12-team Eastern League (Harrisburg-26).
ONE RUN FUN: The Flying Squirrels won their second straight one-run game with last night's 4-3 win...Richmond claimed its first one-run victory of the season on Friday night in a 2-1 win over the R-Phils.
OUCH!: The Flying Squirrels have been hit by pitches nine times, most in the Eastern League...New Britain batters have been hit the second-most, seven times...Brandon Crawford has been plunked three times, also tops in the league.
JARS OF CLAY: Outfielder Clay Timpner went 2-for-3 in last night's contest and scored two of Richmond's four runs...It was the first time a Flying Squirrel scored multiple runs in a game...The 26-year-old is currently on a four-game hitting streak, going 7-for-12 (.583) with a double, two walks, and two runs scored...Overall, Timpner is 9-for-19 (.474) in nine games this season...He was selected in the 4th round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Central Florida...Timpner had spent each of the previous three seasons with Triple-A Fresno and hit .264 over that span with the Grizzlies.
CATCH OF THE DAY: Richmond catcher Jackson Williams has hits in each of his first nine games this season...The 23-year-old is 11-for-28 (.393) at the plate with three doubles, a triple, a home run, and two RBI...The triple on Monday against New Britain was the first of his career...He ranks fourth in the Eastern League in batting average...Williams hit just .223 in 105 games with Connecticut last season and was a career .217 hitter in 244 professional games...The Oklahoma product has also thrown out 50% of would-be base stealers (5-for-10), second-most in the Eastern League.
NO SHOCKER: Third baseman Connor Gillaspie collected his 11th RBI with a sacrifice fly in bottom of the third inning on Monday night...He currently ranks second in the Eastern League in RBI behind Lucas Duda of Binghamton (14).
HORSESHOES AND HAND GRENADES: All 12 games for the Flying Squirrels this season have been decided by three runs or less..A save has been recorded for the victorious team in 11 of the 12...The average margin of victory/defeat is 2.1 runs (25R/12G).
CFS STAT OF THE NIGHT: Three of the four runs scored by the Flying Squirrels in last night's game came without the benefit of a hit...Thomas Neal drove in the first run on a RBI ground out...Connor Gillaspie and Brandon Crawford each drove in runs with sacrifice flys.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 20, 2010
- Trio of Curve Arms Shoot Down Aeros, 2-0 - Altoona Curve
- Curve Take Game Two 2-0 on Tuesday Night at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Bend Spoone - Bowie Baysox
- Nieuwenhuis Rips Five Hits, B-Mets Roar Past Portland 15-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Masterpiece from Maday Carries Squirrels, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mets use Longball to Defeat Sea Dogs, 15-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Drop Second Straight to New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Make Four Straight with 2-1 Victory over Thunder - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 4/20 Akron Aeros Roster Move - B. Price - Akron RubberDucks
- LHP Andrew Dobies Traded to White Sox - Portland Sea Dogs
- Save $100 On The Sports Den Suite This Thursday And Friday - Altoona Curve
- Brad Coon Joins Senators, Josh Johnson Transferred To Vermont - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Bring Back Beer Dinners - Bowie Baysox
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mrs. G's To Give Away Over $7,500 Worth Of Appliances At Trenton Thunder Games - Trenton Thunder
- FirstEnergy Set To Giveaway Half Priced Aeros Tickets - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Fans Chasing The Squirrels To Richmond - Bowie Baysox
- Meet The Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels to Open 2021 Single-Game Ticket Sales April 19
- Flying Squirrels Announce Initiatives to Honor Richmond 34
- MLB Announces Flying Squirrels' 2021 Game Schedule
- Flying Squirrels Sign Major League Baseball PDL, Will Remain Giants Affiliate
- Giants Set Flying Squirrels' 2021 Field Staff