Fisher Cats Make Four Straight with 2-1 Victory over Thunder
Manchester, NH - Marty McLeary pitched six shutout innings for his first win, Al Quintana and Adam Loewen delivered back-to-back RBI singles to snap a scoreless tie in the bottom of the sixth inning and Tim Collins notched his first career Double-A save as the New Hampshire Fisher Cats took over sole possession of first place in the Eastern League's Eastern Division with a 2-1 victory over the Trenton Thunder on Tuesday night at Merchantsauto.com Stadium. The Fisher Cats extended their season-high winning streak to four games and, with a record of 8-4, are off to the best start in franchise history.
McLeary (1-1) scattered six hits, fanned three and walked one just four days after being reached for five runs in one-third of an inning by the Binghamton Mets.
Collins fanned one in one perfect inning of relief for the save.
Quintana's first hit of the season came off Trenton starter and losing pitcher Jeremy Bleich with one out in the sixth, driving in Manny Mayorson (1-for-4, 2B, R), who had doubled. Adam Calderone (walk) then scored on Loewen's single through the middle, giving New Hampshire a 2-0 lead.
Trenton (7-5) got on the board in the top of the eighth against reliever Adrian Martin. David Adams (3-for-4, 2B, R) lined a leadoff double and scored on Austin Romine's single. Martin issued a walk to Damon Sublett (1-for-3, BB) but got out of the jam when he induced an inning-ending double play ground out by Reid Gorecki (0-for-3, BB).
Bleich (1-1) surrendered two runs on four hits in 5.1 innings to absorb the loss. The left-hander issued six walks and struck out four.
The Fisher Cats take aim at a three-game sweep of the Thunder on Wednesday morning at 11:05am with New Hampshire's Randy Boone (1-0, 0.00) making his first start of the year against Trenton righty David Phelps (1-0, 1.59). Radio coverage begins at 10:45am on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network with Mike Murphy and Bob Lipman.
Wednesday is EnergyNorth Propane Educational Day at Merchantsauto.com Stadium. For tickets, visit www.nhfishercats.com or call (603) 641-2005.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 20, 2010
- Trio of Curve Arms Shoot Down Aeros, 2-0 - Altoona Curve
- Curve Take Game Two 2-0 on Tuesday Night at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Bend Spoone - Bowie Baysox
- Nieuwenhuis Rips Five Hits, B-Mets Roar Past Portland 15-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Masterpiece from Maday Carries Squirrels, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mets use Longball to Defeat Sea Dogs, 15-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Drop Second Straight to New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Make Four Straight with 2-1 Victory over Thunder - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 4/20 Akron Aeros Roster Move - B. Price - Akron RubberDucks
- LHP Andrew Dobies Traded to White Sox - Portland Sea Dogs
- Save $100 On The Sports Den Suite This Thursday And Friday - Altoona Curve
- Brad Coon Joins Senators, Josh Johnson Transferred To Vermont - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Bring Back Beer Dinners - Bowie Baysox
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mrs. G's To Give Away Over $7,500 Worth Of Appliances At Trenton Thunder Games - Trenton Thunder
- FirstEnergy Set To Giveaway Half Priced Aeros Tickets - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Fans Chasing The Squirrels To Richmond - Bowie Baysox
- Meet The Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.