Trio of Curve Arms Shoot Down Aeros, 2-0
AKRON, OH - Jared Hughes, Dustin Molleken and Daniel Moskos all combined on a two-hit shutout as the Curve were able grab another series victory by blanking the Akron Aeros (AA - Cleveland Indians) by the score of 2-0 on Tuesday night at Canal Park.
Hughes (3-0) tossed 5.0 no-hit innings to earn his league-leading third win of the season. Hughes walked four batters before giving the ball to Molleken who allowed the first Akron hit of the game with one out in the sixth inning. Molleken would proceed to toss 3.0 scoreless innings before Moskos struck out the side in the ninth inning to earn his second save of the season.
Altoona was paced offensively by Jordy Mercer (2-for-4) who singled home Chase d'Arnaud in the top of the first inning to pu the Curve out 1-0 early. The Curve would be held quiet until the seventh inning when Hector Gimenez drove home the final run of the game with a sacrifice fly to center field, bringing home Jim Negrych, giving Altoona a 2-0 lead.
The Curve will look for their second series sweep of the young 2010 season on Wednesday morning at 10:35 a.m. when they send right-hander Tim Alderson (1-0, 3.60) to the hill. Akron will give the ball to RHP Paolo Espino (1-0, 4.35). Pre-game coverage begins at 10:05 a.m. on flagship station ESPN Radio 1430-WVAM and Altoona Curve Radio Network affiliate stations.
-Akron pitching issued another eight walks in the second game of the series. Akron hurlers have walked 18 through the first two games. -Josh Harrison had his seven-game hitting streak snapped. -The Curve are 3-1 in the four series that they have played thus far in 2010.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 20, 2010
- Trio of Curve Arms Shoot Down Aeros, 2-0 - Altoona Curve
- Curve Take Game Two 2-0 on Tuesday Night at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Bend Spoone - Bowie Baysox
- Nieuwenhuis Rips Five Hits, B-Mets Roar Past Portland 15-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Masterpiece from Maday Carries Squirrels, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mets use Longball to Defeat Sea Dogs, 15-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Drop Second Straight to New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Make Four Straight with 2-1 Victory over Thunder - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 4/20 Akron Aeros Roster Move - B. Price - Akron RubberDucks
- LHP Andrew Dobies Traded to White Sox - Portland Sea Dogs
- Save $100 On The Sports Den Suite This Thursday And Friday - Altoona Curve
- Brad Coon Joins Senators, Josh Johnson Transferred To Vermont - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Bring Back Beer Dinners - Bowie Baysox
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Mrs. G's To Give Away Over $7,500 Worth Of Appliances At Trenton Thunder Games - Trenton Thunder
- FirstEnergy Set To Giveaway Half Priced Aeros Tickets - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Fans Chasing The Squirrels To Richmond - Bowie Baysox
- Meet The Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.