Returning Players & Subtractions Cut Roster to 26
The Saskatoon Blades have trimmed their Pre-Season roster down to 26 players. A group of rookies have been released from the active roster while three of the Blades' six players attending NHL camps have returned.
15-year-old F Hayden Smith is now expected to report to the Yale Hockey Academy of the CSSHL. Smith recorded 2 goals in 2 pre-season games with the Blades. The Blades also welcome back 20-year-old Riley McKay from Chicago Blackhawks Rookie Camp.
Eric Florchuk (Washington Capitals) and Chase Wouters (Anaheim Ducks) have been invited to their respective teams' main NHL Camps.
On the blueline, 16-year-old Spencer Shugrue is expected to join Smith in reporting to the Yale Hockey Academy of the CSSHL. Shugrue registered 3 points in 2 pre-season games. Additionally, 16-year-old Marek Schenider is expected to report to the Prince Albert Mintos in the SMHL.
20-year-olds Scott Walford and Nolan Kneen are both back from their NHL Rookie Camps in with the Winnipeg Jets & Colorado Avalanche respectively.
15-year-old G Ethan Chadwick is expected to report to the Saskatoon Contacts of the SMHL. A Saskatoon local, Chadwick started one game for the Blades and stopped 39 of 42 shots in a winning effort against the Prince Albert Raiders. Koen MacInnes, now the lone goaltender on the roster besides Nolan Maier, will take on Saskatoon's backup duties. In Summary Released from active roster: Hayden Smith, Spencer Shugrue, Marek Schneider and Ethan Chadwick
Returned from NHL: Riley McKay, Scott Walford, Nolan Kneen
Still Away at NHL: Kirby Dach, Chase Wouters, Eric Florchuk
The Saskatoon Blades Pre-Season roster now sits at 15 Forwards, 9 Defensemen and 2 Goaltenders.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 12, 2019
- Game One of WHL Exhibition Series in Dawson Creek Goes to Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Tigers Announce Home Opener Festivities - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Returning Players & Subtractions Cut Roster to 26 - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Swing Trade with Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Acquire Rights to Forward Bryce Bader from Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- Broncos Acquire Brecon Wood from Seattle - Swift Current Broncos
- Gustafson Already a Steady Presence on Rebels Blueline - Red Deer Rebels
- T-Birds Acquire Ashton McNelly from Swift Current - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Mattson, Topping, and Lee on their way back to Kelowna - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Acquire Prospect from the Prince Albert Raiders - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Complete Trade with Cougars - Prince Albert Raiders
- Winnipeg ICE Reassign 2003-Born Forwards Skyler Bruce, Chase Bertholet and Evan Waldie - Winnipeg Ice
- What Kings to Host Smart Like a Patroller Day - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- Game Preview: Blades Visit Cat in the Hat
- Blades Blitz Hitmen 9-3 on Thanksgiving Matinee
- Game Preview: Blades & Hitmen Meet for Monday Matinee
- Blades Harvest Two Points on Nutrien Country Harvest Night
- Game Preview: Lethbridge in Town for Nutrien Country Harvest Night