Game One of WHL Exhibition Series in Dawson Creek Goes to Oil Kings
Josh Williams scored twice and Jalen Luypen registered a trio of assists as the Edmonton Oil Kings downed the Prince George Cougars, 6-1, in game one of the WHL Exhibition Series held at the Encana Events Centre in Dawson Creek, BC on Thursday.
Riley Sawchuk and Parker Gavlas each tallied a goal and an assist in the win, while Dylan Guenther and Kobe Verbicky were the other goal scorers for the Oil Kings.
Todd Scott got the start in goal and earned the win, seeing action in the first 40 minutes of play. Sebastian Cossa was between the pipes for the final 20 minutes and helped preserve the victory.
The Oil Kings opened the game's scoring early on a goal by Williams just 1:26 into the first period, from Scott Atkinson and Luypen to make it 1-0, Edmonton.
They doubled their lead to 2-0 with Guenther's fifth goal in four pre-season games, burying a pass from the corner by Carter Souch, just 5:19 later at 6:45 with the second assist to Luypen.
The Cougars got themselves on the board with their lone marker of the game to make it 3-1 and round out second period scoring at 7:52.
The Oil Kings made it a 3-1 game with just 41 seconds left in the second period with Williams' second of the night, again from Atkinson and Luypen, at 19:19.
In the third period, Sawchuk's third of the pre-season made it 4-1 Edmonton, from Gavlas, then Verbicky notched his first of exhibition action, assisted by Keagan Slaney, to extend the lead to 5-1 at 9:13.
Gavlas capped off the game's scoring, 6-1, on a 5-on-3 man advantage for the Oil Kings, from Sawchuk, with 9.1 seconds left to play.
Oil Kings pre-season action wraps up as they close out the WHL Exhibition Series against the Cougars on Saturday, September 14 at 2:00 PM MT (1:00 PM PT) at the Encana Events Centre.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships, Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets for the Edmonton Oil Kings 2019-20 regular season are on sale now. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20! Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), email [email protected] or visit OilKings.ca for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 12, 2019
- Game One of WHL Exhibition Series in Dawson Creek Goes to Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Tigers Announce Home Opener Festivities - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Returning Players & Subtractions Cut Roster to 26 - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Swing Trade with Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Acquire Rights to Forward Bryce Bader from Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- Broncos Acquire Brecon Wood from Seattle - Swift Current Broncos
- Gustafson Already a Steady Presence on Rebels Blueline - Red Deer Rebels
- T-Birds Acquire Ashton McNelly from Swift Current - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Mattson, Topping, and Lee on their way back to Kelowna - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Acquire Prospect from the Prince Albert Raiders - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Complete Trade with Cougars - Prince Albert Raiders
- Winnipeg ICE Reassign 2003-Born Forwards Skyler Bruce, Chase Bertholet and Evan Waldie - Winnipeg Ice
- What Kings to Host Smart Like a Patroller Day - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett