What Kings to Host Smart Like a Patroller Day
BRANDON - The whistle has blown for the start of the school year, so CAA Manitoba and the Brandon Wheat Kings are hosting "Smart Like a Patroller Day" to promote safety and show off the hard work patrollers do to help their community. The event was at Green Acres School, 335 Queens Avenue East.
Wheat Kings players will be taking time from patrolling the blue lines on the ice to help patrol the streets of Brandon with local students. They'll be shadowing the School Safety Patrols and helping bring awareness to the difficult jobs these students take on to protect their streets.
"With lots of traffic from parents picking up or dropping kids off at school, that can lead to dangerous driving behaviour and avoidable tragedies," said Erin Kantyluk, community relations specialist, CAA Manitoba. "School zone safety is everyone's responsibility, which is why we are so proud of our school safety patrols who prioritize keeping their streets secure."
"The route to school should always start with safety," said Rick Dillabough, director of business operations and sponsorship with the Wheat Kings. "That's why our players are out on patrol with the CAA School Safety Patrols. Now that summer break is over, school safety becomes critical. Patrols do an outstanding job throughout the year and this is a way for the hockey club to show them support."
For over 80 years, CAA School Safety Patrollers have been helping keep school zones safe. Today, more than 7,000 student Patrollers report for duty across Manitoba.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 12, 2019
- Game One of WHL Exhibition Series in Dawson Creek Goes to Oil Kings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Tigers Announce Home Opener Festivities - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Returning Players & Subtractions Cut Roster to 26 - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Swing Trade with Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Acquire Rights to Forward Bryce Bader from Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- Broncos Acquire Brecon Wood from Seattle - Swift Current Broncos
- Gustafson Already a Steady Presence on Rebels Blueline - Red Deer Rebels
- T-Birds Acquire Ashton McNelly from Swift Current - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Mattson, Topping, and Lee on their way back to Kelowna - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Acquire Prospect from the Prince Albert Raiders - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Complete Trade with Cougars - Prince Albert Raiders
- Winnipeg ICE Reassign 2003-Born Forwards Skyler Bruce, Chase Bertholet and Evan Waldie - Winnipeg Ice
- What Kings to Host Smart Like a Patroller Day - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.