Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Cameron Iwasa converted a second half penalty kick to give Sacramento Republic FC their first win of the 2019 season on Saturday night in Colorado Springs.
Republic FC was facing off against a Switchbacks FC side that had just returned from a 4-1 demolition of LA Galaxy II on the road. Seeking to avert a similar fate, the visitors looked to shut down Colorado Springs' Shane Malcolm and Mike Seth, both key figures in the lopsided win over LA with three goals and two assists, respectively.
Haris Chantzopolous, who scored the equalizer in Sacramento's 1-1 draw on opening night, nearly doubled his season tally with a free kick attempt in the third minute that grazed the upper corner of the post.
Cameron Iwasa had another opportunity to put Republic FC ahead with five minutes left in the first half, breaking through the defense to fire a shot from an angle, but his effort sailed over the bar.
Midfielder Sam Werner, who provided the assist to Chantzopoulos in the opening match, played another key role in Saturday's contest.
The three-time NCAA champion made a surging run down the left wing and into the box before being brought down by Switchbacks' Jamal Jack on the endline in the 56th minute. The referee pointed to the spot and Iwasa stepped up to calmly slot home what would be the lone goal of the match. The goal extended Iwasa's all-time goal scoring record in league play to a team-leading 31 goals.
Werner was once again involved a few minutes later, nearly doubling Sacramento's lead with a cross that deflected off a defender before hitting the far post and bouncing away from danger.
With 10 minutes to play, midfielder Jaime Villarreal entered the match in what was his first appearance for Republic FC since August 18 of last season when the Southern California native suffered a severe foot injury against his former club, LA Galaxy II.
Next up for the Indomitable Club is a Sunday matchup at home on March 24 against OKC Energy FC.
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 0-1 Sacramento Republic FC
USL Championship Match
Weidner Field - Colorado Springs, CO
March 16, 2019 - Attendance: 2,862
Scoring Summary: SAC - Cameron Iwasa (penalty) 57.
Misconduct Summary: COS - Jamal Jack (caution 56); SAC - Drew Skundrich (caution) 78.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Shannon Gomez, Mitchell Taintor, Haris Chantzopoulos, Dekel Keinan, Ray Saari (Jaime Villarreal 79), Sam Werner (Hayden Partain 75), Drew Skundrich, Cameron Iwasa, Tyler Blackwood, Stefano Bonomo (Matt Mahoney 90+5).
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Elliott Hord, Keven Aleman, Roberto Hategan.
Stats: Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 4, Saves: 2, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: 2, Offside: 1.
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Clint Irwin, Ismaila Jome, Jamal Jack, Kofi Opare (Kristoffer Reaves 67), Jordan Burt, Jordan Schweitzer, Rony Argueta, Alex Molano (Ibrahim Yaro 74), Shane Malcolm, Saeed Robinson (Matt Hundley 90+1), Mike Seth.
Subs Not Used: Abraham Rodriguez, Sam Raben, Logan Hitzeman, Kwasi Donsu.
Stats: Shots: 14, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 4, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: 6, Offside: 1.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 16, 2019
- New Mexico United Earn Draw at Phoenix Rising FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 3-1 Road Victory against San Antonio FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Energy FC Tops Las Vegas Lights FC 2-1 in Home Opener - OKC Energy FC
- RGV FC Drops Home Opener to Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Los Zorros Beat RGV FC Toros 2-0 for First Win of 2019 - Fresno FC
- Memphis 901 FC Earns First Point in Club History with Saturday Night Draw - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Falls Just Short in Match Two - Birmingham Legion FC
- Late Goal Dooms Nashville SC to First Loss of Season: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Home Opener - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-3 to Portland Timbers 2 at Home - San Antonio FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Fall to North Carolina FC 1-0 - Philadelphia Union II
- Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fury FC Earns First Win, First Clean Sheet of 2019 in Birmingham - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Lewis, Marini Score in 2-1 Win over Hartford Athletic - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Scores Late to Win 1-0 over Nashville SC - Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina FC Shuts out Bethlehem Steel FC to Remain Undefeated - North Carolina FC
- Brian Brown's Brace Helps Reno Defeat Austin Bold FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 0-0 with El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Austin Bold FC Falls in Reno - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Sign Defender Roy Miller - Portland Timbers 2
- USL Championship Match 2 | Fresno FC at RGV FC Toros - Fresno FC
- Indy Eleven Earn Three Points in 2-3 Win over Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Signs Academy Standouts Mario Penagos and Hayden Sargis to First Professional Contracts
- Republic FC Announce Full USL Championship Schedule
- Republic FC Sign Tomas Hilliard-Arce
- Republic FC to Host Job Fair for 2020 United Soccer League Season
- Statement from Republic FC on Passing of Andrew C. Burkle