Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (0-1-0) dropped its season opener, losing to the Tampa Bay Rowdies (2-0-0), 2-0, on Saturday at Al Lang Stadium.
The Rowdies jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute with a goal from Shawn Barry. The team added another goal late, this time from Zach Steinberger in the 86th minute.
"I think it was a pretty even game between two evenly matched teams," head coach Bob Lilley said. "I think it was tough to give up the goal in the first half when we had gotten ourselves into the game on the road. They get that corner and are able to convert."
The Rowdies went ahead 1-0 courtesy of Barry in the 26th minute. Originating from a corner kick by Steinberger, the midfielder collected a loose ball that bounced out to him and sent a low shot into the back of the net from the center of the penalty box.
The Hounds' best opportunity of the first half stemmed from a corner kick in the 19th minute. After Kevin Kerr booted it into the box, Jordan Dover's header just missed target, going over the crossbar.
Pittsburgh had a couple opportunities to knot the score at 1-1 before Tampa Bay added its late goal.
In the 79th minute, forward Steevan Dos Santos drove toward the goalmouth, but his subsequent shot was blocked away. Shortly after in the 83rd minute, Anthony Velarde blasted a shot that went over the crossbar.
The Rowdies scored their second goal in the 86th minute. Barry created a chance off the dribble inside of the penalty box before passing to Steinberger, who one-timed a right-footed shot into the net to place Tampa Bay ahead, 2-0.
At the final whistle, the clubs tied in total shots (6-6), but Tampa Bay had more takes on target (2-0).
Hound of the Match
Thomas Vancaeyezeele led the Hounds with five interceptions and posted a shot on the offensive end.
Stat of the Game
Pittsburgh's six chances created came from six different players.
Riverhounds SC will battle the Swope Park Rangers (0-1-0) at 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 23 at Children's Mercy Park. This will mark their first-ever meeting.
Riverhounds SC - Kyle Morton - Ryan James, Joe Greenspan, Tobi Adewole, Jordan Dover - Mouhamed Dabo, Kenardo Forbes (Noah Franke 82') - Kevin Kerr (Neco Brett 64'), Thomas Vancaeyezeele, Steevan Dos Santos - Christian Volesky (Anthony Velarde 50')
Subs not used: Ben Lundgaard, Sammy Kahsai, Caleb Smith, Uchenna Uzo
Tampa Bay Rowdies - John McCarthy - Caleb Richards, Abdoulaye DiakitÃ©, Tarek Morad - Leo Fernandes, Dominic Oduro, Shawn Barry - Yann Ekra, Zach Steinberger (Andrew Tinari 90'+3) - Brandon Allen (Juan Tejada 69'), Sebastián Guenzatti (Leon Taylor 88')
Subs not used: Chris Konopka, Jordan Doherty, Mohamed Kone, Kwadwo Poku
TBR - Shawn Barry 26'
TBR - Zach Steinberger 86' (Shawn Barry)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 16, 2019
- New Mexico United Earn Draw at Phoenix Rising FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 3-1 Road Victory against San Antonio FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Energy FC Tops Las Vegas Lights FC 2-1 in Home Opener - OKC Energy FC
- RGV FC Drops Home Opener to Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Los Zorros Beat RGV FC Toros 2-0 for First Win of 2019 - Fresno FC
- Memphis 901 FC Earns First Point in Club History with Saturday Night Draw - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Falls Just Short in Match Two - Birmingham Legion FC
- Late Goal Dooms Nashville SC to First Loss of Season: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Home Opener - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-3 to Portland Timbers 2 at Home - San Antonio FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Fall to North Carolina FC 1-0 - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fury FC Earns First Win, First Clean Sheet of 2019 in Birmingham - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Lewis, Marini Score in 2-1 Win over Hartford Athletic - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Scores Late to Win 1-0 over Nashville SC - Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina FC Shuts out Bethlehem Steel FC to Remain Undefeated - North Carolina FC
- Brian Brown's Brace Helps Reno Defeat Austin Bold FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 0-0 with El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Austin Bold FC Falls in Reno - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Sign Defender Roy Miller - Portland Timbers 2
- USL Championship Match 2 | Fresno FC at RGV FC Toros - Fresno FC
- Indy Eleven Earn Three Points in 2-3 Win over Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.