Lewis, Marini Score in 2-1 Win over Hartford Athletic
The Charleston Battery defeated Hartford Athletic 2-1 on Saturday night at MUSC Health Stadium.
Zeiko Lewis, making his first USL Championship appearance opened the scoring in the 17th minute. The Bermuda international danced around multiple defenders before playing a pass to the feet of Romario Piggott. Piggott flicked a quick ball over the Hartford backline to a sprinting Lewis who controlled the ball beautifully and struck the ball well and hard off the near post to put the Battery up 1-0.
"He brings flair in the final third. He's got a bit of craft and brings something different to our side," head coach Mike Anhaeuser said of the young forward. "It's a fantastic goal that the two of them created (Lewis and Piggott). We look forward to seeing more of those types of goals this season."
Ian Svantesson had an opportunity to double the lead late but couldn't convert. Lewis, who was dangerous on the attack all night, beat a defender down the wing and played in a ball to Svantesson who had the keeper beat but popped it up over the crossbar.
Substitute Dante Marini scored his first goal for the Battery in regular season play after missing the entire 2018 season due to a knee injury. The ball found it's way to Svantesson in the box and the strong forward created a bit of space for a shot. The initial shot was saved by the keeper but the rebound fell to Marini who made no mistake. "It's been a long and tough road, I've fought through it and there have been so many ups and downs along the way. I can't describe what this means for me," Marini said after the match. "When we are home we want to win every game. We have that ability. I think we are good enough to beat anyone who comes here."
Hartford Athletic, who are making their debut in the USL Championship this season, would make things interesting late. A penalty in the 82' minute would cut the lead and force the Battery to see out a chippy final ten minutes. Phil Rasmussen scored the penalty and created a number of chances for Athletic throughout the course of the match.
Charleston will travel to Cary, North Carolina to take on North Carolina FC on March 30th. Hartford Athletic will play their third consecutive road match at Louisville City on March 23rd.
CHARLESTON: Kuzminsky, van Schaik, Bolt, Mueller, Anunga, Candela, Piggott (Marini 63', goal 73'), Lewis (goal 17', Kelly 74'), Rittmeyer, Svantesson (Bosua 90')
Substitutes: Beebe, Nelson, Paterson, Kelly, Marini, Bosua, Higashi
HARTFORD: Lee, de Wit, David, Jorgensen (Wojcik 84'), Angulo (Steeves 76'), Rasmussen (goal 83' PEN, ), Williams, Brown (Gentile 76'), Lissek, Lyngo
Substitutes: Novotny, DeVoss, Sousa, Steeves, Downs, Gentile, Wojcik
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 16, 2019
- T2 Earn 3-1 Road Victory against San Antonio FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Energy FC Tops Las Vegas Lights FC 2-1 in Home Opener - OKC Energy FC
- RGV FC Drops Home Opener to Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Los Zorros Beat RGV FC Toros 2-0 for First Win of 2019 - Fresno FC
- Memphis 901 FC Earns First Point in Club History with Saturday Night Draw - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Falls Just Short in Match Two - Birmingham Legion FC
- Late Goal Dooms Nashville SC to First Loss of Season: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Home Opener - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-3 to Portland Timbers 2 at Home - San Antonio FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Fall to North Carolina FC 1-0 - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fury FC Earns First Win, First Clean Sheet of 2019 in Birmingham - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Lewis, Marini Score in 2-1 Win over Hartford Athletic - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Scores Late to Win 1-0 over Nashville SC - Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina FC Shuts out Bethlehem Steel FC to Remain Undefeated - North Carolina FC
- Brian Brown's Brace Helps Reno Defeat Austin Bold FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 0-0 with El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Austin Bold FC Falls in Reno - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Sign Defender Roy Miller - Portland Timbers 2
- USL Championship Match 2 | Fresno FC at RGV FC Toros - Fresno FC
- Indy Eleven Earn Three Points in 2-3 Win over Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- U.S. Open Cup Second Round Pairings Announced
- Van Schaik, Bosua Lead Battery to 3-1 Win over Nashville
- Battery Fall to Bethlehem Steel FC for First Loss of the Season
- Battery Down Independence in Southern Derby Cup Matchup
- Stoppage Time Goal Steals Win from Battery in North Carolina