Memphis 901 FC Earns First Point in Club History with Saturday Night Draw
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - This week wasn't easy for Memphis 901 FC forward Elliot Collier.
Following terrorist attacks in his native New Zealand, Collier spent the past 48 hours surrounded by the comfort of his teammates in Memphis as he watched developments from Christchurch.
"It was very tough," Collier said. "I actually had a friend that I played with, I found out this morning that didn't make it through his surgery.
"The team has been great. They're always there asking if I need anyone to talk to, trying to keep my mind off it, keep me positive and keep me locked in for the game."
On Saturday night, with a black armband on his right upper-arm, Collier scored a historic goal for his club while paying tribute to his country.
"It was a huge goal for the club, tying the game and also for my country," Collier said. "That's why I had the black band for this game. I knew today that I was going to score for them."
Collier's goal helped Memphis rally back from a 1-0 halftime deficit to Loudoun United FC (0-1-1, 1 pt) at home and helped 901 FC (0-1-1, 1 pt) earn the first point in club history.
For head coach Tim Mulqueen, Collier's goal was important on many levels.
"I'm proud of the boys and I'm proud of the club for getting the first point in club history and Elliot (Collier) getting the first goal in club history," Mulqueen said. "A lot of firsts tonight and we're proud to be a part of it."
Collier spent a majority of the post-match reflecting on his week and how meaningful Saturday night's result in front of 7,250 fans at AutoZone Park was.
"It's been a rough past couple of days," Collier said. "That's been something that I had to deal with. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm out here to do what I got to do and score goals and play this game and do it for Memphis."
Collier and 901 FC will now hit the road for more than three weeks with their first road match Sunday, March 24, against Bethlehem Steel FC (1-1-0, 3 pts).
Memphis will return home Wednesday, April 10 to face Atlanta United 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Single match tickets for that match and all home matches in April are now on sale.
Season tickets, group tickets, and 7 Match Flex Plans are also available, with full season tickets starting at just $10 per match. Call (901) 721-6000 or go to www.memphis901fc.com/tickets for more information on all ticket options.
Images from this story
Elliot Collier of Memphis 901 FC celebrates his goal
Memphis 901 FC fans unleash the smoke
Memphis 901 FC vs. Loudoun United FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 16, 2019
- New Mexico United Earn Draw at Phoenix Rising FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 3-1 Road Victory against San Antonio FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Energy FC Tops Las Vegas Lights FC 2-1 in Home Opener - OKC Energy FC
- RGV FC Drops Home Opener to Fresno FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Los Zorros Beat RGV FC Toros 2-0 for First Win of 2019 - Fresno FC
- Memphis 901 FC Earns First Point in Club History with Saturday Night Draw - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Falls Just Short in Match Two - Birmingham Legion FC
- Late Goal Dooms Nashville SC to First Loss of Season: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Home Opener - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-3 to Portland Timbers 2 at Home - San Antonio FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Fall to North Carolina FC 1-0 - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Republic FC Earn Their First Win of the Season - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fury FC Earns First Win, First Clean Sheet of 2019 in Birmingham - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Drop Opener to Rowdies, 2-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Lewis, Marini Score in 2-1 Win over Hartford Athletic - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Scores Late to Win 1-0 over Nashville SC - Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina FC Shuts out Bethlehem Steel FC to Remain Undefeated - North Carolina FC
- Brian Brown's Brace Helps Reno Defeat Austin Bold FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 0-0 with El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Austin Bold FC Falls in Reno - Austin Bold FC
- T2 Sign Defender Roy Miller - Portland Timbers 2
- USL Championship Match 2 | Fresno FC at RGV FC Toros - Fresno FC
- Indy Eleven Earn Three Points in 2-3 Win over Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis 901 FC Stories
- Memphis 901 FC, Sporting Director Andrew Bell Part Ways
- Memphis 901 FC Concludes Inaugural Season
- Memphis 901 FC Wraps up Inaugural Season Tomorrow Night at AutoZone Park
- Memphis 901 FC Drops Final Road Match, 2-0
- With Path to Playoffs, Memphis 901 FC Begins Final Week of Regular Season Tomorrow Night at Charleston Battery