Recap: Double Plays Haunt Tourists in 4-2 Loss
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists dropped the third game of their series versus the Lakewood BlueClaws on Monday night by a score of 4-2. Despite great performances from Kyle Datres, who went 3-for-4 and Daniel Montano, who went 2-for-4 with one run, it wasn't enough for the Tourists to take the series lead.
Coming off of a complete game shutout versus Greensboro on July 25th, Nick Bush pitched six innings and gave up three earned runs with seven strikeouts. The BlueClaws were led by Cole Stobbe who went 2-for-4 with two runs and two RBI's including Home Runs in the 4th and 8th innings. Lakewood's starting pitcher, Victor Santos, threw five innings and only gave up one earned run on three hits.
The Tourists were plagued by four double plays; the most they have hit into this season. Asheville left six runners on the bases and was 1-for-12 as a team with runners in scoring position; something they will try to change on Tuesday.
The bullpen was a bright spot for the Tourists pitching staff led by Alexander Martinez and PJ Poulin. The duo only gave up one earned run in three innings. Lakewood's bullpen pitched exceptional as well. Their relievers, led by Francisco Morales and Mark Potter, allowed one earned run in four innings.
The Tourists look to even up the series on Tuesday night at 7:05. It is the final game of their series versus Lakewood. Asheville is 4-2 during this current homestand and will attempt to finish it strong with Jake Bird scheduled to take the mound in the finale.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Big Third Inning Helps Guide Intimidators to 9-5 Lead over Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Recap: Double Plays Haunt Tourists in 4-2 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Big Fourth Buries 'Birds in Charleston - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hey, We're Walkin' Here: Dogs Outslug Shorebirds to Take Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive End Skid with 4-3 Win over Greensboro - Greenville Drive
- Stobbe Homers Twice, Claws Win 4-2 on Monday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Nevarez Notches Career-High Four Hits in 5-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Kisena Leads Fireflies to Third Straight Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Bats Silenced in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 5 at Hagerstown (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Javier promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Berkeley County School District as Inaugural Recipient of Perros Santos Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Promo Preview: Llamas, Heroes, and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 5-1 Loss Sunday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Dilmer Mejia, Resurgent Offense Lead Rome to 7-2 Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.