Stobbe Homers Twice, Claws Win 4-2 on Monday
ASHEVILLE, NC - Cole Stobbe homered twice and the BlueClaws held off Asheville 4-2 on Monday night at McCormick Field.
The BlueClaws (19-23/48-64) have taken two of three from the Tourists (24-20/53-61) with one to go in their four-game set. Lakewood is now 3-3 on their seven-game trip.
Mark Potter earned his seventh save, getting Johnny Cresto to ground into a game ending 6-4-3 double play as the tying run in the ninth.
Stobbe, who went deep twice, now has 12 on the year and two two-home run games.
Lakewood got a first inning run on an infield single by Abrahan Gutierrez before the Toursits leveled the game at one in the third inning.
Jonathan Guzman and Stobbe hit solo home runs in the fourth and fifth innings for Lakewood to put the Claws up 3-1. It was Guzman's third home run of the season.
Lakewood starter Victor Santos (5-8) came out after allowing one run on three hits over five innings of work. He earned his fifth win of the season.
Asheville got a run back in the bottom of the sixth off Francisco Morales, with Will Golsanscoring on a wild pitch to cut the lead to 3-2. After the BlueClaws left two on in the top of the seventh, Morales stranded two in the bottom of the seventh to keep the BlueClaws ahead. Morales then stranded two more, who reached to start the inning, in the eight, getting a pair of strikeouts to end the frame.
Morales gave up one run in three innings and struck out five.
Tourists starter Nick Bush (5-9) gave up three runs in six innings and took the loss.
Guzman led the BlueClaws with his third three-hit game of the season while McCarthy Tatum, Gutierrez, Stobbe, and Ben Pelletier had two hits apiece.
The series wraps up on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Manuel Silva (4-4) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jake Bird (6-1).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Big Third Inning Helps Guide Intimidators to 9-5 Lead over Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Recap: Double Plays Haunt Tourists in 4-2 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Big Fourth Buries 'Birds in Charleston - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hey, We're Walkin' Here: Dogs Outslug Shorebirds to Take Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive End Skid with 4-3 Win over Greensboro - Greenville Drive
- Stobbe Homers Twice, Claws Win 4-2 on Monday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Nevarez Notches Career-High Four Hits in 5-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Kisena Leads Fireflies to Third Straight Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Bats Silenced in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 5 at Hagerstown (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Javier promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Berkeley County School District as Inaugural Recipient of Perros Santos Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Promo Preview: Llamas, Heroes, and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 5-1 Loss Sunday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Dilmer Mejia, Resurgent Offense Lead Rome to 7-2 Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.