RiverDogs to Honor Berkeley County School District as Inaugural Recipient of Perros Santos Award
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Charleston RiverDogs with recognize the Berekely County School District on Tuesday night at Riley Park as the inaugural recipient of the Perros Santos Award, recognizing their contributions to the Hispanic community in the Lowcountry in the past year.
In a partnership with MUSC Health to highlight individuals and organizations that have had a significant impact on diversity and inclusion in the Lowcountry, the RiverDogs will recognize BCSD this upcoming Tuesday at The Joe when the RiverDogs take the field as "Los Perros Santos de Charleston" for the final time this season. The Perros Santos Award, recognizing and individual or group for their contributions to the Hispanic community in the greater Charleston area, will be presented to BCSD to highlight their work with the RiverDogs in this year's "Festival de Lectura," reading program.
"This year's reading program with the Berkeley County School District was a tremendous success and we heard nothing but positive things from all of our players, coaches, and front office staff that participated in the program this year." said RiverDogs President and General Manager Dave Echols. "BCSD's commitment to serving English language learners in the Lowcountry demonstrates exactly what this new award represents, and we are excited to use our platform to recognize their efforts this year."
As part of their involvement in Minor League Baseball's Copa de la Diversión, the RiverDogs launched the joint literacy program with BCSD this season, encouraging and incentivizing literacy in a fun and interactive program among English Language learners. The program rewarded students who meet the designated reading goals, as determined by both the club and school district. In a program that featured RiverDogs coaches and players visiting schools throughout the district and reading in both English and Spanish, kindergarten through fifth grade students from Hanahan Elementary, Goose Creek Elementary, College Park Elementary and Mt. Holly Elementary took part in the seven-week, baseball-themed program for the first time in 2019.
The RiverDogs take the field as "Los Perros Santos de Charleston" for the final time this season on Tuesday to wrap up a seven-day homestand. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
Fans can "Make Fun" with the RiverDogs all season long down at The Joe. Single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available at riverdogs.com/tickets or by contacting the RiverDogs front office at 843-577-3647 (DOGS). A full schedule and list of game times for the 2019 season are available at riverdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2019
- Big Third Inning Helps Guide Intimidators to 9-5 Lead over Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Recap: Double Plays Haunt Tourists in 4-2 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Big Fourth Buries 'Birds in Charleston - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hey, We're Walkin' Here: Dogs Outslug Shorebirds to Take Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive End Skid with 4-3 Win over Greensboro - Greenville Drive
- Stobbe Homers Twice, Claws Win 4-2 on Monday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Nevarez Notches Career-High Four Hits in 5-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Kisena Leads Fireflies to Third Straight Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Bats Silenced in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 5 at Hagerstown (Game 110) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Javier promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- RiverDogs to Honor Berkeley County School District as Inaugural Recipient of Perros Santos Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Promo Preview: Llamas, Heroes, and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 5-1 Loss Sunday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Dilmer Mejia, Resurgent Offense Lead Rome to 7-2 Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.