Rebels Youth Movement Continues as Herauf Dealt to Victoria
One day after trading 18-year-old forward Alex Morozoff to Seattle as part of a youth movement, Red Deer Rebels GM/head coach dealt 19-year-old defenceman Jacob Herauf for the same reason.
"We have a young team and we need to be able to play these kids," Sutter said Tuesday, after dealing Herauf to the Victoria Royals in return for a second-round pick in the 2020 WHL bantam draft, a sixth-round selection in 2021 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2022.
The trade, along with Tuesday's reassignment of netminder Eric Ward to the Drayton Valley Thunder of the AJHL, reduced the Rebels preseason roster to 25 players. The number includes captain Dawson Barteaux, who's attending the Dallas Stars prospects camp.
The Rebels defensive corps now consists of just three veterans in 20-year-old Ethan Sakowich, 19-year-old Barteaux and second-year player Ryan Gottfried, 18. Joel Sexsmith, Blake Gustafson, Christoffer Sedoff, Chase Leslie and Mason Ward are all 17 and Kyle Masters is 16.
"They're good players and we have to let them play," said Sutter of his younger skaters. "At the same time a guy like Jake wouldn't be happy here with his role. This allows him to go somewhere where he can perhaps have a different role and play different types of minutes.
"Like all trades you hope they work out well for both teams and hopefully this will be good for Jake. It also allows us to play our young kids."
Herauf was Red Deer's first-round pick in the 2015 bantam draft and is entering his fourth season in the league. The six-foot, 194-pound blueliner appeared in 173 games with the Rebels, scoring three goals and adding 26 assists.
With his experience, it's likely there was always going to be a market for Herauf.
"It's just whatever teams need at the time," said Sutter. "This was a situation where we had an opportunity to work with Cam (Royals general manager Hope) and try and get this done."
The Rebels put the wraps on their preseason schedule this weekend, hosting the Medicine Hat Tigers Friday and visiting the Calgary Hitmen Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 10, 2019
- Rebels Youth Movement Continues as Herauf Dealt to Victoria - Red Deer Rebels
- Winnipeg ICE to Host Local Minor Hockey Teams During 2019-2020 Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings' TD Read to Succeed Program Returns for 2019-20 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Trade Herauf To Victoria - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Acquire Jacob Herauf from Rebels - Victoria Royals
- September 10 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Chiefs Add Dustin Donaghy to Coaching Staff - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Announce Ticket Package Pick-Up Night on September 18th - Victoria Royals
- Pats Announce Big Plans for Experience Regina Night with TSN's Jay and Dan - Regina Pats
- Winnipeg ICE Announce Grassroots Community Initiative with the Support of Subway Manitoba - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Barteaux Back from Dallas Stars Camp, Primed to Lead Young Rebels
- Smith Eager to Provide Offence, Leadership for Rebuilding Rebels
- Home Opener & Cabaret Details Announced
- Rebels Drop Final Preseason Contest to Hitmen
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers