Wheat Kings' TD Read to Succeed Program Returns for 2019-20
Brandon, MB. - The Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings, in partnership with TD Bank Group have announced the return of the hockey club's popular "TD Read to Succeed" Program for both the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.
The program, which was introduced by the Wheat Kings and Brandon School Division in 2004, was designed after a pilot project developed by the WHL's Vancouver Giants in 2002. It features several members of the hockey club visiting schools throughout Brandon and surrounding area.
Student participation during the first few years of this local program has come in at virtually 100%, with many of the students exceeding the programs required by the participating schools.
The 2018-19 program involved close to 65 classrooms, 13 schools and over 1,000 tickets. The TD Read to Succeed program encourages students in grades 2-6 to spend extra time reading - both at home and in school.
As in recent years, several Wheat King players, including local products Connor Gutenberg, Lynden McCallum and Zach Wytinck, will visit schools this season, talking to students about the importance of reading and education. In all cases, the players will read to the students and upon successfully completing a literacy challenge - introduced by each classroom teacher - the students will be rewarded with bookmarks and complimentary tickets to an upcoming game, compliments of TD.
"Reading is fun and can spark curiosity and imagination, allowing children to envision a world of endless possibilities," said Gregory Bezaire, Branch Manager, TD Canada Trust. "At TD, we believe that through reading and early learning, every student can build a strong foundation for their future success and prepare them for whatever tomorrow brings. We are proud to be the title sponsor for the TD Read to Succeed Program to make a positive impact on students here in Brandon."
Each classroom presentation, which will include time for reading, questions and answers will take approximately 25-30 minutes. Schools or classrooms interested in scheduling a Wheat Kings' TD Canada Trust Read to Succeed visit are encouraged to email [email protected]
"The TD Read to Succeed program is one of the most important and impactful community initiatives the Wheat Kings are involved with" said Chris Falko, Director of Game Day Operations and Community Relations for the Wheat Kings. "Getting into local schools and involving the students in discussions on reading, literature and the overall importance of education makes a lasting impression long after the visit is over. This is something we couldn't do to this level without the amazing support of TD"
On the ice, the Wheat Kings continue to prepare to raise the curtain on the 2019-20 season against the Winnipeg Ice on Friday September 20th. Tickets are available at the Keystone Centre Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 10, 2019
- Rebels Youth Movement Continues as Herauf Dealt to Victoria - Red Deer Rebels
- Winnipeg ICE to Host Local Minor Hockey Teams During 2019-2020 Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings' TD Read to Succeed Program Returns for 2019-20 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Trade Herauf To Victoria - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Acquire Jacob Herauf from Rebels - Victoria Royals
- September 10 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Chiefs Add Dustin Donaghy to Coaching Staff - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Announce Ticket Package Pick-Up Night on September 18th - Victoria Royals
- Pats Announce Big Plans for Experience Regina Night with TSN's Jay and Dan - Regina Pats
- Winnipeg ICE Announce Grassroots Community Initiative with the Support of Subway Manitoba - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.