Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus
Trade Sends the Black and Blue's Third Round Draft Pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft and a Conditional Draft Pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft to the Crew
DENVER, CO (Friday, January 20, 2006)- The Colorado Rapids announced today the acquisition of Colorado native goalkeeper Matt Jordan and defender/midfielder Chris Wingert from the Columbus Crew. The Rapids, in exchange, sent the team's natural third round draft pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft for Jordan and a conditional draft pick in 2007 for Wingert.
Jordan, an Aurora, CO native, returns to the Centennial State to play for his hometown club, the Rapids, in time for his seventh MLS season. Jordan is a familiar name to Colorado soccer fans, as in 1994 he was named the Colorado High School Soccer Player of the Year.
The Clemson alumnus played from 1998 to 2002 for Dallas, and then spent a season in Denmark before returning to MLS to play for Columbus. At the international level, Jordan has played for Odense Boldklub in the Danish Superliga as well as has trained for club sides in Belgium and the Netherlands.
Jordan was called into US National Team camp for friendlies against China and Columbia in early 2001, but has yet to earn his first cap... Represented the U.S. at the Under-21, U-20 and U-18 levels... Was a member of the bronze-medal-winning U.S. National 'B' Team at the 1997 World University Games in Sicily, Italy.
Wingert will join the Rapids for his third MLS season after spending his first two in Columbus. The New York native's first game with the Black & Blue will be the 50th of his young career.
Wingert will become the second Hermann Trophy winner on Colorado's roster, joining Luchi Gonzalez. Wingert captured the award, presented annually to the nation's top college soccer player, when he was at St. John's (Gonzalez won his during his stint at SMU). The 23-year-old Wingert also appeared regularly for the US Under-23 National Team from 2002-2004.
Name: Matt Jordan Position: GK Height: 6-2 Weight: 185 Birthdate: October 13, 1975 Hometown: Aurora, CO Last club: Columbus Crew Name: Chris Wingert Position: D-M Height: 5-10 Weight: 155 Birthdate: June 16, 1982 Hometown: Babylon, NY Last club: Columbus Crew
TRANSACTION Soccer- MLS Colorado Rapids- Acquire Colorado native goalkeeper Matt Jordan and defender/midfielder Chris Wingert from the Columbus Crew in exchange for the Rapids' natural third round draft pick in 2006 and a conditional draft pick in 2007.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2006
- Bradley names Preki as Chivas USA Assistant Coach - MLS
- L.A. Galaxy select five players at 2006 MLS Superdraft - LA Galaxy
- MetroStars Select Marvell Wynne First Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Chivas USA gets three in Philly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Draft Six Players Including Armenian Striker Yura Movsisyan - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey - Columbus Crew SC
- adidas unveils 2006 Chivas USA uniform - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United drafts Justin Moose in first round of 2006 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Revs select three players in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- MetroStars Land U-17 Standout Josmer Altidore in Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- Ready for Mehdi - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Select Midfielder - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus - Colorado Rapids
- adidas Unveils D.C. United Jerseys - D.C. United
- Crew Acquires Two Draft Picks In Exchange For Partial Allocation - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.