Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals
PHILADELPHIA (Friday, January 20, 2006) - In two separate trades, the Columbus Crew announced today that is has acquired Colorado's natural third round pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for goalkeeper Matt Jordan and a conditional draft pick in the 2007 SuperDraft for Chris Wingert.
"Due to the depth of our goalkeeping situation it made sense to trade Matt," said Crew Head Coach Sigi Schmid. "The draft pick will give us some needed depth this year. I wish Matt a healthy and good stay in Colorado. And with some of the additions in the back, I felt it was good to give Chris a chance somewhere else. I wish Chris all the best with his new team."
With the addition of Colorado's third round selection (33rd overall), The Crew now owns four picks in the four-round draft (12 picks per round), including two first-round selections, the third and ninth. Columbus also has the 27th overall pick.
Due to injuries and the presence of Jon Busch and Jonny Walker, Jordan has played in just three games over the past two seasons. Wingert, The Crew's second-round draft pick in 2004, has appeared in 49 games, 36 starts, over the past two years.
The 2006 MLS SuperDraft is today, January 20, in Philadelphia, in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
The Crew obtained their second first-round pick after sending Jeff Cunningham to Colorado on January 14, 2005. Columbus does not have a second-round pick after sending their natural second-round pick to FC Dallas for Cornell Glen on April 26, 2005, who has since been traded to Colorado for defender Ritchie Kotschau. The Crew does not have a fourth-round pick after a January, 24, 2004 trade with D.C. to acquire Devin Barclay.
The Crew's home opener is set for Saturday, April 15, vs. the Eastern Conference rival Chicago Fire. The national television schedule has not yet been finalized, so the start time. MLS kicks off its 11th season on Saturday, April 1. The complete 2006 schedule will be announced at a later date.
Crew fans can get a "Put out the Fire" Home Opener Pack for just $60, which includes four midfield vouchers, and can become Crew Soccer Nation members by purchasing Season Tickets now, including a new three-game season ticket package with prices starting as low as $24 for three games. All ticket packages are available exclusively through TheCrew.com and 614-447-CREW.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2006
- Bradley names Preki as Chivas USA Assistant Coach - MLS
- L.A. Galaxy select five players at 2006 MLS Superdraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MetroStars Select Marvell Wynne First Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Chivas USA gets three in Philly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Draft Six Players Including Armenian Striker Yura Movsisyan - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey - Columbus Crew SC
- adidas unveils 2006 Chivas USA uniform - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United drafts Justin Moose in first round of 2006 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Revs select three players in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- MetroStars Land U-17 Standout Josmer Altidore in Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- Ready for Mehdi - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Select Midfielder - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus - Colorado Rapids
- adidas Unveils D.C. United Jerseys - D.C. United
- Crew Acquires Two Draft Picks In Exchange For Partial Allocation - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named to 2018 Major League Soccer Best XI
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Red Bull Arena Tomorrow to Face the New York Red Bulls in Leg 2
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named Major League Soccer's 2018 MLS Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year