Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey
PHILADELPHIA (Friday, Jan. 20, 2006) - The Columbus Crew drafted six players today in the four-round 2006 MLS SuperDraft held at the Philadelphia Convention Center.
The Crew had two first round picks and selected Maryland forward and MAC Hermann Trophy award winner Jason Garey with the third overall pick and Generation adidas and Cal State Dominguez Hills forward Kie Kamara with the ninth overall selection.
Columbus also selected Generation adidas and Indiana defender Jed Zayner (13th overall, 1st pick of second round), New Mexico midfielder Brandon Moss (27th overall, 3rd pick of the third round), Memphis midfielder Dayton O'Brien (33rd overall, 9th pick of the third round) and SMU forward Duke Hashimoto (38th overall, 2nd pick of the fourth round).
Generation adidas, which was established ahead of the 2005 MLS season, is MLS's youth player development program designed to identify and nurture the elite youth soccer talent in the United States. The Generation adidas players do not count toward the 18-man senior roster or the salary cap. In addition to training and playing on a weekly basis, Generation adidas players also receive educational grants to further their college education.
JASON GAREY, Forward (Maryland) - First Round, 3rd Overall
Garey was the 2005 MAC Hermann Trophy winner, which goes to the NCAA Division I Player of the Year. Garey ended his Maryland career with 60 goals and 20 assists in 96 games (68 starts). He was also the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year and a two-time All-American, garnering first team honors in 2005 and third team laurels in 2004.
"I am really looking forward to joining Columbus, coming in and working extremely hard," said Garey. "We want to win championships, that is our goal."
KEI KAMARA, Forward (Cal State Dominguez Hills) - First Round, 9th Overall (Generation adidas player)
Kamara tallied 31 goals in two years at NCAA Division II Cal State Dominguez Hills. He was a third team All-American in 2005 and a two-time all-conference pick (2004 and 2005). After redshirting in 2003, he played just two years at CSDH.
"It's great," said Kamara. "I am really thankful to Sigi. He has seen me play and has faith in me as a player. I'm a goal scorer. I love to put the ball in the back of the net."
JED ZAYNER, Defender (Indiana) - Second Round, 13th Overall (Generation adidas player)
Zayner was a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy and was a third team All-American in 2005. He was a second team All-Big Ten pick in 2004 and 2005. He left college after his junior year.
"I am so excited," said Zayner. "I liked every team, but I am really happy to be coming to Columbus. It's a great organization, with great fans and a great coach in Sigi."
BRANDON MOSS, Midfielder (New Mexico) - Third Round, 27th Overall
Moss was a second team All-Far West Region pick in 2005 and 2003, and a third team selection in 2004. He was also a third team Academic All-American choice in 2005. Moss started all 83 games of his college career.
"I am looking forward to coming to Columbus and helping any way I can," said Moss.
DAYTON O'BRIEN, Midfielder/Forward (Memphis) - Third Round, 33rd Overall
O'Brien was a second team All-American in 2004 and an all-Midwest pick in 2005. He was a first team All-Conference USA selection in 2004 and 2005, as well as the league's Offensive Player of the Year in 2004. O'Brien tallied 24 goals and 34 assists four years at Memphis.
DUKE HASHIMOTO, Forward (SMU) - Fourth Round, 38th Overall
Hashimoto was a second team All-American and the Conference USA Player of the Year in 2005. He is one of two Hawaiians on MLS rosters, joining Houston's Brian Ching. Hashimoto garnered 26 goals and 20 assists in four years at SMU.
Position: Forward College: Maryland
Date of Birth: 7-19-84 (21) in Baton Rouge, LA Height: 6-0
Weight: 180 Hometown: Gonzales, LA
KEI KAMARA (Generation adidas player)
Position: Forward College: Cal State Dominguez Hills
Date of Birth: 9-1-84 (21) in Kenema, Sierra Leone Hometown: Lawndale, CA
Height: 6-2 Weight: 165
JED ZAYNER (Generation adidas player)
Position: Defender College: Indiana
Date of Birth: 12-13-84 (21) in Valparaiso, IN Height: 5-11
Weight: 165 Hometown: Oreland Park, IL
Position: Midfielder College: New Mexico
Date of Birth: 5-12-84 (21) in Albuquerque, NM Height: 6-1
Weight: 185 Hometown: Albuquerque, NM
Position: Forward/Midfielder College: Memphis
Date of Birth: 10-29-83 (22) in Memphis, TN Height: 5-11
Weight: 155 Hometown: Memphis, TN
Position: Forward College: SMU
Date of Birth: 12-15-84 (21) in Honolulu, HI Height: 5-7
Weight: 150 Hometown: Kapolei, HI
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2006
- Bradley names Preki as Chivas USA Assistant Coach - MLS
- L.A. Galaxy select five players at 2006 MLS Superdraft - LA Galaxy
- MetroStars Select Marvell Wynne First Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Chivas USA gets three in Philly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Draft Six Players Including Armenian Striker Yura Movsisyan - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey - Columbus Crew SC
- adidas unveils 2006 Chivas USA uniform - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United drafts Justin Moose in first round of 2006 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Revs select three players in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- MetroStars Land U-17 Standout Josmer Altidore in Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- Ready for Mehdi - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Select Midfielder - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus - Colorado Rapids
- adidas Unveils D.C. United Jerseys - D.C. United
- Crew Acquires Two Draft Picks In Exchange For Partial Allocation - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Western Conference Opponent Sporting Kansas City at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night
- Columbus Crew SC to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, June 18
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster