MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft
SECAUCUS, NJ (Friday, January 20, 2005) - The MetroStars acquired the first overall pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft from Chivas USA in exchange for the fifth overall pick in this year's draft and second-year defender Jason Hernandez. With the first overall pick, the MetroStars selected defender Marvell Wynne.
"We are thrilled that Marvell is a MetroStar," said MetroStars President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "He is a diamond and like all diamonds, the more you polish them, the better they look."
Wynne, a speedy 19-year-old from Poway, CA, played two years at UCLA where he earned NSCAA All-American honors in 2005. He appeared in 16 games for the Bruins in '05 and netted one goal and three assists. In his collegiate career, Wynne saw action in 36 games (33 starts) and totaled one goal and five assists. In addition to garnering All-American honors, he also was named to the 2005 First Team All-Far West and First Team All-Pac 10.
"We are very excited to get Marvell," said MetroStars Head Coach Mo Johnston. "He has strength and pace and those two qualities will make for a very good defender in this league."
"I am excited to join the MetroStars," said Wynne. "I am definitely looking forward to coming to New York and playing in a great atmosphere."
Wynne has 12 career caps with the U.S. U-20 National Team and was a member of the U-20 team that competed in the 2005 World Championships.
A former track star at Poway High School, he holds the school records for 200m dash and 400m dash. His father- also Marvell Wynne- played professional baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres and Chicago Cubs.
As a rookie for the MetroStars in 2005, Jason Hernandez started the final three regular season matches and both playoff games. The 22-year-old Englewood, NJ native was originally selected by the MetroStars in the 2005 Supplemental Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2006
- Bradley names Preki as Chivas USA Assistant Coach - MLS
- L.A. Galaxy select five players at 2006 MLS Superdraft - LA Galaxy
- MetroStars Select Marvell Wynne First Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Chivas USA gets three in Philly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Draft Six Players Including Armenian Striker Yura Movsisyan - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects College Player Of The Year Jason Garey - Columbus Crew SC
- adidas unveils 2006 Chivas USA uniform - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United drafts Justin Moose in first round of 2006 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- MetroStars Reacquire 41st Overall Pick; Tab Blake Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Revs select three players in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- MetroStars Land U-17 Standout Josmer Altidore in Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- Ready for Mehdi - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire Top Pick in SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Select Midfielder - New England Revolution
- Rapids Acquire Jordan, Wingert from Columbus - Colorado Rapids
- adidas Unveils D.C. United Jerseys - D.C. United
- Crew Acquires Two Draft Picks In Exchange For Partial Allocation - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Acquires Two SuperDraft Picks In Separate Deals - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- ACF Fiorentina Replaces AS Roma in 2019 International Champions Cup
- Red Bulls Drop out of Open Cup, Fall to New England, 3-2 in OT
- New York Red Bulls Add Rece Buckmaster on Short-Term Agreement
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Host New England in Fourth Round Open Cup Match
- Red Bulls Start Strong, Fall Late to Philadelphia, 3-2