Rampage Drop Overtime Decision to Monsters 4-3
CLEVELAND (Feb. 19, 2016) - The San Antonio Rampage (22-23-8-0) fell to the Lake Erie Monsters (27-17-5-3) 4-3 in overtime in front of 12,124 in Quicken Loans Arena. San Antonio held a 3-1 lead late in the second period, before giving up three unanswered goals. Andrew Agozzino finished the night with a goal and an assist, earning the Third Star of the Game.
The Monsters started the scoring early in the first period when Steve Eminger sent a pass to Daniel Zaar, who one-timed the puck passed Roman Will. San Antonio answered just thirty seconds later when Mikko Rantanen found Agozzino on the backside. Agozzino slipped the puck passed Anton Forsberg on the nearside post for his 10th goal of the season. The Rampage tallied a second power-play goal later in the stanza when Reid Petryk finished a cross-ice pass from Agozzino to put the Silver and Black up 2-1.
Holding a 2-1 lead going into the second period, San Antonio notched their third straight goal in the 36th minute of play. Michael Schumacher registered his eighth goal of the season when he went upstairs on Forsberg. The Monsters cut the lead to one nearly two minutes later when Oliver Bjorkstrand sent a blast from the point. The Rampage went on to finish the second period with a 3-2 lead.
The third period was relatively quiet until Lake Erie knotted the game at three when Michael Chaput tallied his 11th goal of the season at 8:34. Both teams were scoreless for the remainder of the frame, forcing overtime.
Chaput ultimately scored the game-winning goal with 57 seconds remaining in the overtime period. Will finished with 21 saves on 24 shots, and the Rampage held the Monsters' power-play unit to one goal on eight opportunities with the man advantage. The Rampage finished the night with two power-play goals on eight opportunities.
Patrick Bordeleau played in his 500th professional game tonight. Bordeleau made 216 appearances in a Monsters sweater, dating back to the 2008-09 season.
Due to Nick Drazenovic's injury and recent transactions, the Rampage lines were drastically shifted with Michael Schumacher, Mikko Rantanen and Colin Smith skating on the first line. Joey Hishon moved to the second line with Andrew Agozzino and Reid Petryk, while the third line remained unchanged. Dan Maggio skated with Sam Henley and Patrick Bordeleau on the Rampage's fourth line. The only defensive change came with the Rampage's newest addition, Nate Guenin, who was paired with Brandon Gormley.
The Rodeo Road Trip continues tomorrow with another contest against the Lake Erie Monsters at 6 p.m. San Antonio returns home on Friday, March 4 at 7:30 p.m. against the Manitoba Moose, which will be Military Appreciation Night, presented by On Time Elmer. Season tickets for the 2016-17 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or visit sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 19, 2016
- Pirates Battle Back, But Fall to Americans - Portland Pirates
- High-Flying Affair Sees Penguins Fall to Marlies, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Snap Nine-Game Skid, Defeat Comets, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Drop First of Two-Game Set to Charlotte - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Akeson, Amerks Sink Pirates in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Stolarz Shines (37 Saves) as Phantoms Double up Falcons 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Drop Overtime Decision to Monsters 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Chaput's Heroics Headline Monsters' 4-3 OT Win over Rampage - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers End Skid in Grand Fashion, Beat Griffins 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Outlast IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Shaded 2-1 by Senators - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Knocked off by Phantoms - Springfield Falcons
- Comets Point Streak Snapped in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Game Preview: Condors Riding Five-Game Winning Streak - Bakersfield Condors
- Hellberg, Wolf Pack Feeding off of Each Other's Confidence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Hall of Fame Night Set for Friday, March 4 - Rochester Americans
- Rockford and Manitoba Return for Tonight's Sock Drive - Rockford IceHogs
- Pacific Division Leaders Collide Tonight as Reign Host Stars - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Returns Hoffman to Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Flames Recall Defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Pacific Division Leaders Collide Tonight as Reign Host Stars - Ontario Reign
- Social Media Night, McCollum Bobblehead and Pennant Giveaway in Store for Griffins Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Sneak Peak vs. St. John's - Binghamton Senators
- Moose Assign Jiri Fronk to Tulsa - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids