Falcons Knocked off by Phantoms
Allentown, PA - The Springfield Falcons tallied the first goal of the game but couldn't return to the scoresheet in a 2-1 loss to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
Greg Carey began the game's scoring with his twenty-first of the season at 10:01. The forward scored by intercepting a rush out of the Phantoms zone by Kevin Goumas. Carey fired a wrist shot past Anthony Stolarz that was deflected off his equipment and into the net. Carey's goal was the lone tally of the period to give the Falcons a 1-0 lead into the second period. Marek Langhamer stopped all 12 shots in the frame.
The Phantoms struck 2:19 into the second period with a goal from Cole Bardreau to tie the game at one. His eighth of the season was tallied on the man advantage and was assisted by Chris Conner and Petr Straka. As the second period came to the closing minutes, Aaron Palushaj gave the Phantoms their first lead of the night with a breakaway goal. His tenth of the season was assisted by Straka. The Phantoms took a 2-1 lead into the third period.
The teams traded chances early in the third period but both team's goaltenders prevented any goals. In the closing minutes, the Falcons pulled Langhamer for the extra attacker but could not find the back the net. Langhamer made 28 saves with his record moving to 4-5-1. Stolarz stopped 37 shots and improved his record to 16-11-3.
The Falcons return home tomorrow night to battle the Hartford Wolf Pack at 7:00 p.m. at the MassMutual Center. The weekend concludes with a 5:00 p.m. faceoff against the Phantoms on Sunday night.
Springfield Falcons ticket packages are on sale now. To reserve your seats, call 413-739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all the latest Falcons information and updates, follow the Birds at www.falconsahl.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/falconsahl and on Twitter (@TheFalconsAHL) using #YourTownYourTeam.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 19, 2016
- Pirates Battle Back, But Fall to Americans - Portland Pirates
- High-Flying Affair Sees Penguins Fall to Marlies, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Snap Nine-Game Skid, Defeat Comets, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Drop First of Two-Game Set to Charlotte - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Akeson, Amerks Sink Pirates in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Stolarz Shines (37 Saves) as Phantoms Double up Falcons 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Drop Overtime Decision to Monsters 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Chaput's Heroics Headline Monsters' 4-3 OT Win over Rampage - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers End Skid in Grand Fashion, Beat Griffins 4-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Outlast IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Shaded 2-1 by Senators - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Knocked off by Phantoms - Springfield Falcons
- Comets Point Streak Snapped in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Condors Game Preview: Condors Riding Five-Game Winning Streak - Bakersfield Condors
- Hellberg, Wolf Pack Feeding off of Each Other's Confidence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Hall of Fame Night Set for Friday, March 4 - Rochester Americans
- Rockford and Manitoba Return for Tonight's Sock Drive - Rockford IceHogs
- Pacific Division Leaders Collide Tonight as Reign Host Stars - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Returns Hoffman to Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Flames Recall Defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Pacific Division Leaders Collide Tonight as Reign Host Stars - Ontario Reign
- Social Media Night, McCollum Bobblehead and Pennant Giveaway in Store for Griffins Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Sneak Peak vs. St. John's - Binghamton Senators
- Moose Assign Jiri Fronk to Tulsa - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.