Rampage Complete Season Sweep of Griffins with 2-1 Shootout Win
SAN ANTONIO (Mar. 13, 2014) - The San Antonio Rampage (25-26-3-6) topped the Grand Rapids Griffins (37-18-2-4) 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday night at the AT&T Center, completing the season sweep of the Midwest Division's first-place team.
Bobby Butler tallied his team-high 19th goal of the season and Michael Houser made 26-of-27 saves to earn the First Star of the Game.
Neither team found the back of the net in the game's first 20 minutes, the first scoreless first period the Rampage have played since February 15, also against Grand Rapids.
San Antonio's best scoring chance of the period was a cross-crease pass from Drew Shore to Garrett Wilson, but Tom McCollum stretched to the right side just in time to stop Wilson's shot.
The game remained a 0-0 tie through the first 40 minutes, the first time this season the Rampage have played two scoreless periods.
Bobby Butler got the Rampage on the board just 57 seconds into the third period, earning the Third Star of the Game. McCollum gave up a rebound on a Drew Shore shot, and Wilson fed a wide-open Butler in the slot.
The Griffins answered with a power play goal from Adam Almquist, whose blast from the left point beat Houser at 16:27 to knot the game at one.
After a scoreless overtime, the Rampage headed to a franchise-high 16th shootout of the season. Drew Shore, Mark Mancari and John McFarland all scored in the shootout, and Michael Houser stopped all three Griffins shooters to secure the win.
San Antonio outshot Grand Rapids 33-27, including a 12-9 margin in the third period. The Silver and Black went 0-for-2 on the power play while going 2-for-3 on the penalty kill. The game was the 50th AHL game for defenseman Jonathan Racine.
The Rampage play their next five games on the road, starting with a Saturday night matchup with Milwaukee at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m., and fans can watch live via AHL Live, listen live on The Ticket 760 AM, or follow along on Twitter (@sarampage) and Facebook (/sarampagehockey). San Antonio returns home on March 27 to take on the Texas Stars, the make-up game for the March 1 game that was suspended due to ice conditions. Tickets can be purchased by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2014
- Rampage Complete Season Sweep of Griffins with 2-1 Shootout Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Fall 2-1 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heeter, VandeVelde, Lamarche to Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Texas Stars Recall Center Taylor Vause from Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Sundstrom Earns First NHL Recall - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday's Amerks Telecast Will be Carried on Time Warner Cable SportsChannel's Alternate Channels - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Don Unique St. Patrick's Day Jerseys for Charity - Chicago Wolves
- Weekend Preview: Games 62, 63 vs. Utica Comets - Abbotsford Heat
- Wild Assigns Matson and Jobke to Orlando - Iowa Wild
- Faith & Family Night this Friday - Binghamton Senators
- Newly Launched IceCaps Entertainment Announces NHL Exhibition Game Coming to Mile One - St. John's IceCaps
- Ducks Reassign Rakell to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Leblanc, Pateryn Join Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour on Tuesday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons to Recognize 'Buy Springfield Now' Initiative at Home Game Saturday - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Community and Promotions Update - Adirondack Phantoms
- Phantoms Weekly - 3 City Road-Swing - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Drop 3-2 Decision to Iowa Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.