RailCats Re-Sign Southpaw Carvallo
GARY, IND. - The Gary SouthShore announced the re-signing of left-handed pitcher Felix Carvallo and removed first baseman Alex Crosby from the 23-man active roster before Wednesday's game vs. the Sioux City Explorers.
Carvallo was acquired from the Cleburne Railroaders for right-handed pitcher Steve Pastora on Dec. 20, 2018. Carvallo signed his first American Association contract with the Wichita Wingnuts on Jan. 26, 2018, and went 2-1 with a 2.44 ERA in 33 relief appearances before getting traded to Cleburne on Oct. 5. In 51.2 innings pitched, the southpaw yielded 21 runs (14 earned) on 57 hits and 19 walks and struck out 48 hitters.
Carvallo signed his first professional baseball contract with the Texas Rangers as an international free agent on June 1, 2012, at the age of 19-years-old. The southpaw won a career-high eight games and posted a 3.35 ERA in 21 relief appearances in his first season of professional baseball with the Dominican Summer League Rangers in 2012. In 45.2 innings pitched, Carvallo allowed 21 runs (17 earned) on 44 hits and 13 walks and struck out 47 batters.
Carvallo returned to the DOSL Rangers in 2013, posting a 1-1 record with a career-best 0.90 ERA, eight saves, .206 opponents batting average and 0.80 WHIP in 25 relief appearances. In 30.2 innings pitched, Carvallo yielded three runs on 22 hits and three walks and struck out 41 hitters.
Carvallo was promoted to the Hickory Crawdads (Lo-A) in 2014, going 4-4 with a 3.41 ERA in 34 relief outings. In 66 innings pitched, the southpaw allowed 30 runs (25 earned) on 69 hits and 26 walks and struck out 58 hitters.
Carvallo was promoted to the High Desert Maverick (Hi-A) in 2015, finishing the season 3-2 with two saves and a 5.18 ERA in a career-high-tying 36 relief appearances. In 64.1 innings pitched, Carvallo allowed 40 runs (37 earned) on 68 hits and 24 walks and struck out 63 hitters. Carvallo returned to High Desert in 2016, going 6-3 with a 3.74 ERA in 36 relief appearances. In a career-high 67.1 innings pitched, Carvallo allowed 35 runs (28 earned) on 70 hits and 34 walks and struck out 69 batters.
Crosby was 1-for-8 with two runs, two RBIs a double and two walks in three games with Gary. Right-hander Christian DeLeon (0-1, 5.40) makes his home debut for the 'Cats in the middle game of the series against Explorers' right-hander Jason Garcia (1-0, 1.59).
Wednesday's game is the first Creekside Bar "Pop-Bar" Wednesday of the season and a NorthShore Health Centers Wednesday. Wednesday's pop-up bar theme is "A Pop-Up Bar About Nothing" celebrating Seinfeld and includes a free magnet schedule giveaway, presented by Northwest Indiana Orthopedic and Spine Center at Methodist Hospitals. Wednesday's game is also Hammond, East Chicago, and Whiting Community Night, presented by Fifth Third Bank.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 22, 2019
- 'Dogs Swept in Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Explorers Return the Favor to RailCats - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Cats Shutout by X's, 2-0, in Middle Game of Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Drop Doubleheader to St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Bases Loaded Walk-Off Walk Gives Saints Doubleheader Sweep, 6-5 in Eight Innings over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Afenir's Five Hits Boost Cleburne to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes End Seven-Game Road Trip with Loss to Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ely Hits Grand Slam, Canaries Sweep Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Medina Spectacular as Saints Blank Dogs in Game One of Doubleheader 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Fall 10-4 in Series Finale - Texas AirHogs
- RailCats Re-Sign Southpaw Carvallo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cleburne Adds Former Yankees Draft Pick Afenir - Cleburne Railroaders
- RedHawks School Day Game Postponed Due to Weather - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Homers, Two-Strike Magic Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Staff Additions and Promotions for 2020
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0