American Association Game Recaps
May 22, 2019 - American Association (AA) News Release
Fargo-Moorhead 6, Milwaukee 4 - Box Score
Fargo-Moorhead scored four runs in the eighth inning to overcome a 4-2 deficit and beat Milwaukee by the score of 6-4.
The RedHawks had 11 hits in the contest with solid offensive production from 1B Chris Jacobs and 2B T.J. Bennett. Jacobs went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and an RBI while Bennett collected three doubles and drove in three in a perfect 4-for-4 night. Fargo-Moorhead CF/LF Brennan Metzger and LF/RF Tim Colwell also chipped in a hit and a run scored.
RedHawks reliever Carter Hope tossed 2 1/3 shutout innings to earn the victory. Hope allowed a walk and fanned three batters.
Milkmen 1B/3B Dan Ward had a 2-for-3 night with a home run.
Sioux Falls 6, Texas 2 - Box Score
The Sioux Falls Canaries took command early on by grabbing a 5-1 lead after two innings of play and coasting from there to a 6-2 win over Texas.
Sioux Falls pounded out 11 hits in the matinee and was led by their 3-4 hitters of 1B Adrian Nieto and RF Clint Coulter. The duo combined to go 4-for-10 at the plate with a pair of doubles, three runs scored and three RBIs. Nieto and Coulter also each homered in the game. Shortstop Alay Lago collected two hits in four at-bats and drove in a run.
Canaries starting pitcher Taylor Hill tossed seven solid innings and earned his first victory of the season. Hill gave up an unearned run on four hits and struck out four batters.
For the AirHogs in the losing effort, DH Jonathan Moroney went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Gary SouthShore 7, Sioux City 0 - Box Score
Gary SouthShore jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings of play and would cruise from there to shutout Sioux City by a 7-0 score.
RailCats starting pitcher Lars Liguori and relievers Robbie Coursel and Braulio Torres-Perez combined on a seven-hit shutout. Liguori went the first five innings allowing two walks and four hits while striking out four batters. The bullpen duo of Coursel and Torres-Perez tossed the final four innings of the contest giving up three hits and three walks to go along with three punchouts. Liguori notched the win and is now 1-1 on the season.
Offensively for Gary SouthShore, SS Marcus Mooney led the way going 1-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI. RailCats 1B Randy Santiesteban also contributed a pair of hits.
First baseman Dexture McCall went 2-for-3 with a walk in the loss for the Explorers.
Winnipeg 7, Cleburne 3 - Box Score
The Winnipeg Goldeyes continued their excellent start to the season as they defeated Cleburne by a final of 7-3. Winnipeg rolled out in front 5-0 after two innings and would never look back as they are now 5-1 on the year.
The Goldeyes had 12 total hits as a team with seven of them going for extra bases. Winnipeg C Kevin Garcia went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs while RF Willy Garcia homered, scored a pair of runs and drove in one in a 1-for-3 night. Designated hitter Reggie Abercrombie and 3B Wes Darvill each collected two hits to help the Goldeyes offense.
Winnipeg starter Kevin McGovern gave up three earned runs over five innings of work to nab the win. McGovern walked four and struck out two in the 82-pitch performance.
For the Railroaders, leadoff hitter Nick Rotola had a 2-for-4 game with two runs scored.
Lincoln at Kansas City (Doubleheader - Postponed/Rain)
The doubleheader between Lincoln and Kansas City was postponed due to rain. It will be played on Wednesday, May 22 beginning at 5:05 PM. Both games will be seven innings.
Chicago at St. Paul (Postponed/Rain)
The game between Chicago and St. Paul was postponed due to rain. It will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Wednesday, May 22 beginning at 11:35 AM. Both games will be seven innings.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 22, 2019
- 'Dogs Swept in Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Explorers Return the Favor to RailCats - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Cats Shutout by X's, 2-0, in Middle Game of Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Drop Doubleheader to St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Bases Loaded Walk-Off Walk Gives Saints Doubleheader Sweep, 6-5 in Eight Innings over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Afenir's Five Hits Boost Cleburne to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes End Seven-Game Road Trip with Loss to Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ely Hits Grand Slam, Canaries Sweep Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Medina Spectacular as Saints Blank Dogs in Game One of Doubleheader 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Fall 10-4 in Series Finale - Texas AirHogs
- RailCats Re-Sign Southpaw Carvallo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cleburne Adds Former Yankees Draft Pick Afenir - Cleburne Railroaders
- RedHawks School Day Game Postponed Due to Weather - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Homers, Two-Strike Magic Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.