'Cats Shutout by X's, 2-0, in Middle Game of Series
?GARY, IND. - After shutting out Sioux City, 7-0, in the home opener on Tuesday night at U.S. Steel Yard, the Explorers turned the tables on the RailCats with a 2-0 shutout over Gary on Wednesday. Gary's (2-3) best chance of scoring came in the bottom of the first when the 'Cats had the bases loaded with one out but recorded back-to-back flyouts to end the inning.
Luke Bonfield delivered the only runs of the game with a two-out, two-run home run to left in the fourth. Bonfield's homer was his first of the year and gave Sioux City (2-4) their first runs and lead of the series.
Sandy Lugo retired four of the six hitters he faced over 1.1 scoreless innings of relief in his home debut and has yet to allow a run in four innings out of the bullpen this season. Felix Carvallo made his season debut with one out in the top of the seventh and retired both the hitters he faced, including one via a strikeout. Braulio Torres-Perez made his second appearance in as many days out of the bullpen for Gary and recorded the final six outs of the game with two scoreless innings of relief.
Jason Garcia (2-0) recorded his second straight win in his first road start of the year for Sioux City. The right-hander yielded five hits, walked two, struck out one and retired nine in a row at one point over 5.1 innings.
Tyler Fallwell recorded a hold with 2.2 scoreless innings of relief while Munster, Ind., native Matt Pobereyko (2) secured the win with his second save of the year. Pobereyko struck out two of the three batters he faced in a perfect 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth.
Christian DeLeon (0-2) was charged with his second straight loss in his first career start at U.S. Steel Yard. The right-hander went five innings, allowing two runs on four hits and a walk while striking out a pair.
Gary and Sioux City conclude their three-game series on Thursday at 7:10 p.m. Southpaw Trevor Lubking (1-0, 0.00) makes his home debut for the 'Cats against X's RHP Zach Jemiola (0-1, 8.31) in the series finale.
Thursday's game is the first Gerber Collision & Glass Thursday and Thirsty Thursday of the year. Every Thirsty Thursday includes $1.50 domestic drafts, $3 select premium drafts and $1 hot dogs. Be sure to visit any Northwest Indiana Gerber Collision & Glass location for complimentary tickets Thursday's game also features a free magnet schedule giveaway, presented by Northwest Indiana Orthopedic and Spine Center at Methodist Hospitals.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 22, 2019
- 'Dogs Swept in Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Explorers Return the Favor to RailCats - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Cats Shutout by X's, 2-0, in Middle Game of Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Drop Doubleheader to St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Bases Loaded Walk-Off Walk Gives Saints Doubleheader Sweep, 6-5 in Eight Innings over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Afenir's Five Hits Boost Cleburne to Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes End Seven-Game Road Trip with Loss to Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ely Hits Grand Slam, Canaries Sweep Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Medina Spectacular as Saints Blank Dogs in Game One of Doubleheader 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Fall 10-4 in Series Finale - Texas AirHogs
- RailCats Re-Sign Southpaw Carvallo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cleburne Adds Former Yankees Draft Pick Afenir - Cleburne Railroaders
- RedHawks School Day Game Postponed Due to Weather - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Homers, Two-Strike Magic Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener