Rafters out to Open Season on a High Note
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters will open the 2015 season at Witter Field with renewed vitality when they take on the Wisconsin Woodchucks Tuesday evening, looking to win their first season opener in the brief history of the team.
The Rafters have brought in a new coaching staff, led by field manager Craig Noto, who has 23 years of youth, high school and collegiate coaching experience. Noto is joined by fellow Brooklyn, N.Y., native and former MLB pitcher John Halama on the coaching staff. Jesse Marsh, who previously coached with Noto at LIU Brooklyn, and former Rafter Brandon Hohl round out the revamped coaching staff.
Noto will hand the ball to John Jaeger to open the season for the Rafters. Jaeger, a sophomore from the University of the Pacific, is making his Northwoods League debut. The right hander saw action in 20 games, earning a 1-1 record with a 4.99 ERA across 30.2 innings.
The Rafters have the honor of hosting the Marshfield Clinic 2015 Northwoods League All-Star festivities, including the Home Run Derby and All-Star Game on July 21. Many changes have been made to Witter Field in anticipation of the event, including the Point Craft River, which is an all-inclusive, 80 foot-long seating area under the Ho-Chunk Gaming Rat Trap on the third base side of the stadium.
The Rafters coaching staff has a goal to play well and win the South Division in the first half, giving them a chance to coach the South in the All-Star Game at home.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 CT at Witter Field and will feature a 2015 Rafters Schedule Magnet Giveaway courtesy of Nieman's Service.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from May 26, 2015
- Growlers Drop Season Opener at Madison - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bullfrogs Drop Close Contest; Harrison Twirls 7 1/3 Strong Innings in Debut - Green Bay Booyah
- Gonsolin Powers Mallards to Victory over Growlers - Madison Mallards
- Lakeshore Chinooks Use Big 8th Inning to Win Opener - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Home Opener Postponed Due to Weath and Unplayable Conditions - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Postponed After Rain Hits Witter Field on Opening Day - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters out to Open Season on a High Note - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- John Kuhn to Appear at Joannes Stadium on Opening Day - Green Bay Booyah
- Hill Gets the Nod for Mallards on Opening Night - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Host St. Cloud Rox at Simmons Field at 7:05 p.m. Tonight on Opening Day - Kenosha Kingfish
- Three Players Added To Bullfrogs Roster - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Announce Partnership with Impact Networking for 2015 Season - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Commence Second Year Under Tutelage of Skip Handelsman - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.